The Saturday Quiz
From the blogs
A slight deviation from style this week and admittedly a bit weird, but at least I can finally say I...
Owen Howells is a DJ/producer who grew up in Australia but was born in the UK. He came back to the U...
Justice, the bedrock of our society is for sale under the Government’s latest plan to sell legal aid...
Take inspiration from the green-fingered brigade who have been showing off their creativity at the R...
1. The Mariinsky is to St Petersburg as what is to Moscow?
2. Which celebrated radio theme tune has the same tempo as "Nellie the Elephant"?
3. Manhattan's avenues number from First to what?
4. The Tenant of Wildfell Hall, The Color Purple, and We Need To Talk About Kevin are – structurally – all examples of what type of novel?
5. Who has a statue in Westminster Abbey, another in Hull College, and a university named after him in Ohio?
6. Which two international teams has Roy Hodgson managed in addition to England?
7. Born c272, died in 337, who was the first Roman emperor to convert to Christianity?
8. Which city has a so-called 'European district'?
9. In Fawlty Towers, what is Manuel's pet rat called?
10. John Schlesinger; Alan Parker; Clint Eastwood; Woody Allen. What's the connection?
- 1 What, let gays get married? We must be bonkers
- 2 'Something passed underneath us, quite close': Airbus A320 has close encounter with UFO
- 3 Rocky Horror star Tim Curry 'suffers major stroke'
- 4 Lord of the Sings: Sir Christopher Lee, 91, to release heavy metal album
- 5 Exclusive: Woolwich killings suspect Michael Adebolajo was inspired by cleric banned from UK after urging followers to behead enemies of Islam
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Nook is donating eReaders to volunteers at high-need schools and participating in exclusive events throughout the campaign.
Get the latest on The Evening Standard's campaign to get London's children reading.
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.