The Saturday Quiz
1. Which two 19th-century French poets are honoured in London with the first blue plaque celebrating a gay relationship?
2. In the first UK chart in Nov 1952, a female British singer had three records in the Top 10. Who?
3. Which three animals are, respectively, the sources of saurian, aquiline, and asinine?
4. Before he became the Archbishop of Canterbury, Justin Welby was Bishop of where?
5. Alistair Darling's campaign to keep Scotland as part of the Union is called what?
6. Who painted a pipe, adding the words 'Ceci n'est pas une pipe'?
7. What 20th-century event prompted the creation of a short-lived, government-controlled newspaper called the British Gazette?
8. For around 180 years from 1644, what country was known to outsiders as New Holland?
9. Who was the first head of state to visit Pope Francis?
10. What is distinctive about Berlin's East Side Gallery?
Threat of 'catastrophic cascade of collisions' involving 300,000 pieces of rubbish must be averted, warn scientists
Britain's top vet sparks controversy with call for ban on slashing animals' throats in 'ritual' slaughters for halal and kosher meat products
Poor 'live like animals' says Boris's privately educated sister after going on 'poverty safari'
Exclusive: Impact of immigrants on British workers ‘negligible’
Vince Cable: Teachers 'know absolutely nothing' about the world of work
Ukraine crisis: Russia pledges to 'retaliate against sanctions' as Ukrainian president says Crimea vote will not be recognised
The quiet diplomat: Catherine Ashton - recognised and admired in all the world’s troubled countries, yet ridiculed at home
- 1 Oxford is the least affordable city in the UK, where houses cost 11 times local salaries
- 2 Australian man Rod Sommerville reacts to bite from deadly snake by reaching for cold beer
- 3 North Korea elections: Kim Jong-un wins 100% of the vote
- 4 David Cameron resorts to paying for Facebook fans because not enough people like him
- 5 Steve Irwin’s final words: Cameraman present at death opens up about deadly stingray attack for the first time