The Saturday quiz
1. "All political careers end in failure." The words of which politician (1912-1998)?
2. Mulholland Drive is in which US city?
3. David Bowie changed his name because his original name was shared by which pop star?
4. Who owns a cat he says he wants to marry called Choupette?
5. Which writer (1903-1966) lived at Combe Florey?
6. Texel is the largest island in which European island group?
7. In American law, what term describes a writ that compels testimony from a witness?
8. Historian Alan Bullock (1914-2004) wrote the first biography of whom (published in 1952)?
9. Stephen Roche is the only Tour de France winner of which nationality?
10. "I scowl with frustration at myself in the mirror." The opening sentence of which multi-million-selling novel, published in 2011?
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
- 1 Games of Thrones actor Lena Headey makes emotional promise to her unborn daughter
- 2 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 3 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 4 Female Muay Thai champion hustles coaches to give them a beating
- 5 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala