The Saturday Quiz: Try our weekly brain teaser
1. Thurles, 26 March 1992; Towcester, 7 November 2013. What?
2. The Bulwer-Lytton Fiction Contest invites entrants "to compose the opening sentence to the worst of all possible novels". Which opening sentence – to an 1830 novel by Edward George Bulwer-Lytton – is the contest inspired by?
3. The Battle of Verdun in 1916 gave rise to which slogan of defiance?
4. The historic European region of Pomerania literally means 'land of the sea'. Which sea does it border?
5. Gabardine was invented in 1879 by the founder of a company which still bears his name and is now one of the biggest fashion houses in the world. Which company?
6. Spain's equivalent of the FA Cup is called what?
7. 85 Albert Embankment, overlooking the Thames, is the headquarters of which organisation?
8. Which is bigger – New Zealand's North island or its South island?
9. 'Cracklin' Rosie'; Syd Barrett; F Scott Fitzgerald. What's the connection?
10. In the context of a share flotation, what does IPO stand for?
Liverpool progress to the last 16 of the Capital One Cup
Scotland could still declare independence – even without referendum, says Alex Salmond
Scottish referendum results: Cross-party consensus collapses amid Tory-Labour spat on the 'English question'
Hilary Mantel 'should be investigated by police' over Margaret Thatcher assassination story, says Lord Bell
Plebgate MP Andrew Mitchell called officer a 'little s**t', claim court documents 'exposing ex-Chief Whip's 'record of abusing police'
Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God
Labour Party conference: Ed Balls to set out plan to freeze child benefit to balance books
- 1 Cyclist in Russia narrowly misses being hit by car and lorry
- 2 Y-40 Deep Joy: This is the world's deepest swimming pool
- 3 'F*ck it, I quit': KTVA reporter Charlo Greene quits live on air in spectacular fashion
- 4 Syria air strikes: President Obama undergoes Damascene conversion as Isis forces America to change tack
- 5 Pink Floyd new album: Band unveil cover art for first record in 20 years