The Saturday Quiz: Try our weekly brain teaser
Saturday 09 August 2014
1. Who is currently the oldest living Oscar winner for their role in 1936's "The Great Ziegfeld"?
2. Which US president adopted the slogan: "Speak softly and carry a big stick"?
3. Britain's V-class bombers during the Cold War consisted of the Avro Vulcan, the Handley Page Victor and which other aircraft?
4. What was launched in 1982 to use up surplus milk stocks in the UK and ceased production in 1992?
5. A Cantonese version of which song from a current West End musical has been adopted by pro-democracy activists in Hong Kong?
6. What name for a weak or timid person derives from a character in a 1920s American comic strip?
7. On which country did Russia declare war on 8 August 1945?
8. What is the collective noun for a group of owls?
9. The Parvis Notre-Dame – Place Jean-Paul-II in Paris is what? London's Charing Cross is often ascribed a similar role
10. What household gadget did the American engineer Eugene Polley invent in 1955?
Tweet your score @indymagazine
Olympic diver has made his modelling debut for Adidas
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
- 1 Thailand beach murders: Thai PM suggests 'attractive' female tourists cannot expect to be safe wearing bikinis
- 2 Scottish independence: Learn from Quebec's mistakes and beware of promises. Vote Yes.
- 3 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 4 Revealed after 75 years of secrecy: 'Fifi' the glamorous WW2 special agent who tested British spies' resolve
- 5 Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair