The Saturday Quiz: Try our weekly brain teaser
Saturday 09 August 2014
1. Who is currently the oldest living Oscar winner for their role in 1936's "The Great Ziegfeld"?
2. Which US president adopted the slogan: "Speak softly and carry a big stick"?
3. Britain's V-class bombers during the Cold War consisted of the Avro Vulcan, the Handley Page Victor and which other aircraft?
4. What was launched in 1982 to use up surplus milk stocks in the UK and ceased production in 1992?
5. A Cantonese version of which song from a current West End musical has been adopted by pro-democracy activists in Hong Kong?
6. What name for a weak or timid person derives from a character in a 1920s American comic strip?
7. On which country did Russia declare war on 8 August 1945?
8. What is the collective noun for a group of owls?
9. The Parvis Notre-Dame – Place Jean-Paul-II in Paris is what? London's Charing Cross is often ascribed a similar role
10. What household gadget did the American engineer Eugene Polley invent in 1955?
Tweet your score @indymagazine
In defence of liberal democracy
General Election 2015: Post-election 'shambles' looms as 70 per cent of voters say SNP 'should not be able to veto UK government policies'
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
General election live: SNP suspends two members for disrupting Labour rally
General Election 2015: Sturgeon claims Scots 'appalled' by Ed Miliband's refusal to work with SNP
- 1 Qataris pledge to expand Canary Wharf
- 2 #JeSuisEd: People share photos of themselves eating awkwardly in solidarity with Labour leader
- 3 Women think Irish men are the sexiest, survey finds
- 4 Florida couple forced to register as sex offenders for having sex on public beach
- 5 Watch eerie drone footage of destroyed building in Stalingrad