David Moyes and Roberto Martinez remain the leading candidates to replace Harry Redknapp as the next manager of Tottenham.
Moyes has emerged as a front-runner for the vacant position as a consequence of the job he has done at Goodison Park over the past decade, where, with little financial support, he has continued to produce a competitive side, although he has still to win silverware. It is also felt that after 10 years at the helm at Goodison Park, the Scot is open to the possibility of a new challenge.
Martinez, right, the 38-year-old Wigan manager who was interviewed for the Liverpool position, is highly thought of as well, as Spurs look for a young manager to create a new era at White Hart Lane following the shock removal of Redknapp.
Daniel Levy, the Tottenham chairman, is an admirer of both Martinez and Brendan Rodgers, who Liverpool tied to a three-year contract at the start of this month.
However, Spurs are not expected to rush into replacing Redknapp, whose near four-year reign was abruptly ended late on Wednesday night.
Redknapp, 65, had been hoping to open talks to extend his deal, which had only 12 months left to run, but in his meeting with Levy, he was told he was being dismissed.
Redknapp, however, is keen to make an immediate return to football. He missed out on the England job to Roy Hodgson, and has seen four new Premier League clubs appoint new managers since the campaign ended.
"I feel great, I am ready," Redknapp said. "Football keeps me going, that is what I will miss. But I am not one for sitting at home. I'm not coming to the end, I feel fit as a fiddle. I would suit any job. It is just what happens in football. Who knows?"Reuse content