Today's letter from the Editor
£23000 - £26000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client is curr...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: Level 3 Nursery NurseI am currently...
£21000 - £34000 per annum + Excellent rates of pay, CPD, Support : Randstad Ed...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Manchester: Level 3 Nursery nurse required for ...
i Editor's Letter: We're deluding ourselves over Britain's fading influence
So here we go again. Another PM plunges into an EU summit, having mouthed the prerequisite platitudes back home about “battling for Britain” and the “EU picking our pockets”, and then proposing a seven-year budget freeze will only happen if the Channel freezes over.
Actually, for all the thousands of words spilt, it wouldn’t be so very different if Ed Miliband were in Brussels (p6), not David Cameron. Realistically, it comes down to a battle over not losing £1bn off Britain’s rebate, and not being sidelined by the other 26 states over our threat to veto the wider budget.
The truth is that our PM is hand-tied by the public’s ambivalent relationship with Europe, born of our much more profound struggle to find a new national identity that reflects our place in the world. This has been going on ever since we won the war only to, in many people’s minds, lose the long-term peace, as Germany, Japan (and China) became global economic powerhouses.
As I wrote yesterday, many Britons also display ambivalence towards America, but it is of a different hue. We resent America for dominating our culture and language, while we fear Europe’s increasing influence over our judiciary, legislature and economy. All this at a time when our own union is under real threat.
No politician wants to talk about the decline of our political influence. But as a nation we are deluding ourselves if we do not confront it, and address the massive question of who we are now, rather than dwelling on who we were. In the meantime, don’t hold your breath over Brussels.
- 1 Jack the Ripper: Scientist who claims to have identified notorious killer has 'made serious DNA error'
- 2 Banksy arrest hoax: Internet duped by fake online report claiming artist's identity has been revealed
- 3 Drink alcohol and eat meat to improve male fertility - but cut down on coffee, studies suggest
- 4 Former East 17 frontman Brian Harvey turns up at Downing Street and 'demands to speak to Prime Minister'
- 5 The inventor of the Facebook 'like' button says he never made a 'dislike' button because he feared the 'unfortunate consequences'