Today's letter from the Editor
Unpaid Voluntary Position : Reach Volunteering: Volunteer your expertise as Tr...
£68 - £73 per day + Competitive rates of pay based on experience: Randstad Edu...
£69 - £73 per day + Competitive London rates of pay: Randstad Education Group:...
£117 - £157 per day + Competitive London rates: Randstad Education Group: * Pr...
The Business Matrix: Friday 29 December 2011
BP's top US exec ordered to testify
BP's top US executive has been subpoenaed to testify in New Orleans over the Gulf of Mexico oil spill. BP America chairman and president Lamar McKay will give evidence in the February trial which will determine who was liable for the disaster that saw more than 4.1 million barrels of oil gush out of the well off the coast of Louisiana last year.
Dutch sale nets Thomas Cook €18m
Tour operator Thomas Cook yesterday kicked off its emergency yard sale of non-essential assets as it fights to reduce its crippling debts. The company is selling a large Dutch office which it no longer considers to be core to the business. The proceeds – €18m – will provide only a fraction of the €200m in sell-offs Thomas Cook is targeting.
Oil price falls as Iran's bluff is called
The price of oil fell yesterday after six days of gains as investors decided that Iran's threats of blocking oil shipments through the Strait of Hormuz were a bluff. Tehran had said on Tuesday that it would stop ships passing through the waterway if sanctions were imposed on its own oil exports. Brent crude oil fell $1.11 a barrel to $108.14.
Diggle invites in food investors
Stephen Diggle, the canny Oxford-educated multi- millionaire hedge fund manager whose funds made $2.7bn in the grim years of 2007 and 2008 is giving outsiders a chance to invest in his family's vast agricultural investments. Diggle has bought farms in Uruguay, New Zealand and Illinois in a successful gamble on rising food prices.
- 1 Scottish referendum: So how about the English now being given a chance to split from England?
- 2 Stamford Hill council removes 'unacceptable' posters telling women which side of the road to walk down
- 3 Kim Kardashian 'naked pictures' leaked on 4chan weeks after Jennifer Lawrence 'The Fappening' scandal
- 4 Matthew Miller: American sentenced to hard labour in North Korea 'wanted to be Snowden II'
- 5 Iranian blogger found guilty of insulting Prophet Mohammad on Facebook sentenced to death