Today's letter from the Editor
£22000 - £24000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This bespoke furniture and inte...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: Do you get a buzz from thinking up new ideas a...
£14500 - £16000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join ...
£7 - £8 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This expanding, vibrant charity which su...
The Business Matrix: Friday 29 December 2011
BP's top US exec ordered to testify
BP's top US executive has been subpoenaed to testify in New Orleans over the Gulf of Mexico oil spill. BP America chairman and president Lamar McKay will give evidence in the February trial which will determine who was liable for the disaster that saw more than 4.1 million barrels of oil gush out of the well off the coast of Louisiana last year.
Dutch sale nets Thomas Cook €18m
Tour operator Thomas Cook yesterday kicked off its emergency yard sale of non-essential assets as it fights to reduce its crippling debts. The company is selling a large Dutch office which it no longer considers to be core to the business. The proceeds – €18m – will provide only a fraction of the €200m in sell-offs Thomas Cook is targeting.
Oil price falls as Iran's bluff is called
The price of oil fell yesterday after six days of gains as investors decided that Iran's threats of blocking oil shipments through the Strait of Hormuz were a bluff. Tehran had said on Tuesday that it would stop ships passing through the waterway if sanctions were imposed on its own oil exports. Brent crude oil fell $1.11 a barrel to $108.14.
Diggle invites in food investors
Stephen Diggle, the canny Oxford-educated multi- millionaire hedge fund manager whose funds made $2.7bn in the grim years of 2007 and 2008 is giving outsiders a chance to invest in his family's vast agricultural investments. Diggle has bought farms in Uruguay, New Zealand and Illinois in a successful gamble on rising food prices.
- 1 President Obama leaves touching comment on Humans of New York photo from Iran
- 2 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 3 The Chinese city where men have 'three girlfriends because there are so many women'
- 4 German police forced to ask public to stop bringing donations for refugees arriving by train
- 5 Orthorexia nervosa: How becoming obsessed with healthy eating can lead to malnutrition