Today's letter from the Editor
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: CHESHIRE MARKET TOWN - An exciting and rare o...
Excellent Salary : Austen Lloyd: NORTH HAMPSHIRE - SENIOR POSITION - An exciti...
£29000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Gas Installation Engineer is required ...
£28000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Domestic Gas Technical Surveyor is req...
The Business Matrix: Saturday 21 December 2013
Thames drops bid to raise water bills
Thames Water has dropped its attempt to raise household bills by £29 next year. The company had asked the regulator Ofwat to let it raise bills by 8 per cent on average to help pay for London’s new super-sewer. But Ofwat rejected the attempt and Thames said it would not challenge that ruling.
Serco bounces back with contract
Serco won a 22-year contract expansion from the Ministry of Justice yesterday, which is worth £120m, a day after repaying £68.5m over the prisoner tagging scandal. The group will build an extension at HMP Thameside in Greenwich, giving the 900-prisoner jail space for another 332 inmates.
SSE will close two coal-fired plants
SSE has decided to shut its Ferrybridge and Uskmouth coal-fired power plants by the end of 2023, rather than fit them with new carbon emissions technology. The energy company had already said it would close 2,000MW of power generation by the end of March.
Card mis-selling pool increased
The credit card insurance group CPP has raised the amount set aside to compensate customers over mis-selling by a further £10m to £68.5m. Up to seven million people could be in line for compensation after 13 banks and credit-card issuers agreed to a £1.3bn compensation scheme.
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by Ohio police
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Bill Cosby: Isn’t it obvious why his accusers have stayed silent up until now?
- 4 Halle Berry takes ex-boyfriend Gabriel Aubry to court for allegedly trying to make daughter look less African-American
- 5 Isis propaganda image showing 'abuse of Muslim woman by soldiers' is actually taken from Hungarian porn film