Today's letter from the Editor
£28000 - £45000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Senior Digital Marketing Cons...
£16640 - £18500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An Assistant Stores Keeper is r...
£16000 - £18500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an excellent opportunit...
£17000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Developer required to join a bu...
The Business Matrix: Saturday 21 December 2013
Thames drops bid to raise water bills
Thames Water has dropped its attempt to raise household bills by £29 next year. The company had asked the regulator Ofwat to let it raise bills by 8 per cent on average to help pay for London’s new super-sewer. But Ofwat rejected the attempt and Thames said it would not challenge that ruling.
Serco bounces back with contract
Serco won a 22-year contract expansion from the Ministry of Justice yesterday, which is worth £120m, a day after repaying £68.5m over the prisoner tagging scandal. The group will build an extension at HMP Thameside in Greenwich, giving the 900-prisoner jail space for another 332 inmates.
SSE will close two coal-fired plants
SSE has decided to shut its Ferrybridge and Uskmouth coal-fired power plants by the end of 2023, rather than fit them with new carbon emissions technology. The energy company had already said it would close 2,000MW of power generation by the end of March.
Card mis-selling pool increased
The credit card insurance group CPP has raised the amount set aside to compensate customers over mis-selling by a further £10m to £68.5m. Up to seven million people could be in line for compensation after 13 banks and credit-card issuers agreed to a £1.3bn compensation scheme.
- 1 Indonesia executions: Death row British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford will refuse to wear a blindfold when she faces firing squad
- 2 The man who filmed the Freddie Gray video has been arrested at gunpoint
- 3 How the language you speak changes your view of the world
- 4 Tory activist asked to step down after Labour candidate Rupa Huq is 'manhandled' while questioning Boris Johnson on the campaign trail
- 5 Uploading pictures to find out how old you are gives Microsoft the right to post them wherever they want