Today's letter from the Editor
£9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: This role is based within a small family run ...
£28000 - £32000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This Design and marketing agenc...
£46000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This property investment firm are lookin...
£18000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company specialises provid...
The Business Matrix: Saturday 4 October 2013
Harris returns to run Carpetright
Lord Harris of Peckham, the Tory party donor dubbed the “Carpet King”, has returned to run his Carpetright business at the age of 70 after chief executive Darren Shapland quit and the firm warned that its profits would miss forecasts. The peer, will run the firm while looking for a successor.
New chairman for price-rise Centrica
The ex-Network Rail chairman Rick Haythornthwaite has been confirmed as the new chairman of British Gas-owner Centrica, before it raises energy bill by an expected £100 per household. He succeeds Sir Roger Carr, who will leave Centrica at the start of next year to take the same role at BAE Systems.
Small firms ‘left waiting too long’
The City watchdog has attacked banks over the “snail’s pace” at which small businesses’ that were mis-sold interest-rate swaps are being compensated. The Financial Conduct Authority said business owners were waiting “too long” for compensation.
Barclays investors snap up shares
Barclays shareholders took up 94.6 per cent of the rights issue for its £6bn share offer. Most of the remaining 5 per cent went to buyers in China, Japan and South Africa who had been unable to take up their rights for technical reasons. Analysts said it was a “pretty good” take-up.
- 1 Michelle Rodriguez: Fast & Furious actor apologises after telling 'minorities' to stop taking on 'white' roles
- 2 Raif Badawi, the Saudi Arabian blogger sentenced to 1,000 lashes, may now face the death penalty
- 3 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 4 Robert Mugabe eats a zoo for 'obscene' 91st birthday party
- 5 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory