Today's letter from the Editor
Negotiable: Tradewind Recruitment: PMLD Teacher A specialist primary school i...
£15000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Now our rapidly expanding and A...
£15000 - £20000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Are you passionate about great ...
£20000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This fast growing reinforcing s...
The Business Matrix: Saturday 4 October 2013
Harris returns to run Carpetright
Lord Harris of Peckham, the Tory party donor dubbed the “Carpet King”, has returned to run his Carpetright business at the age of 70 after chief executive Darren Shapland quit and the firm warned that its profits would miss forecasts. The peer, will run the firm while looking for a successor.
New chairman for price-rise Centrica
The ex-Network Rail chairman Rick Haythornthwaite has been confirmed as the new chairman of British Gas-owner Centrica, before it raises energy bill by an expected £100 per household. He succeeds Sir Roger Carr, who will leave Centrica at the start of next year to take the same role at BAE Systems.
Small firms ‘left waiting too long’
The City watchdog has attacked banks over the “snail’s pace” at which small businesses’ that were mis-sold interest-rate swaps are being compensated. The Financial Conduct Authority said business owners were waiting “too long” for compensation.
Barclays investors snap up shares
Barclays shareholders took up 94.6 per cent of the rights issue for its £6bn share offer. Most of the remaining 5 per cent went to buyers in China, Japan and South Africa who had been unable to take up their rights for technical reasons. Analysts said it was a “pretty good” take-up.
- 1 Three-year-old boy shoots pregnant mother and father in New Mexico
- 2 Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
- 3 Jewish community urged to boycott Cornwall village after residents vote for 'Hitlers Walk' sign to be reinstated
- 4 Gorillaz Phase 4: Cartoon supergroup is back as new artwork is unveiled
- 5 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'