Today's letter from the Editor
£350 - £400 per day: Orgtel: HR Analyst - Banking - Bristol - £350 - £400 per ...
£16 - £17 per hour: Ashdown Group: Marketing & PR Assistant - Kentish Town are...
£50000 - £60000 Per Annum + excellent company benefits: Clearwater People Solu...
£65000 - £70000 Per Annum: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client based i...
The Business Matrix: Saturday 7 July 2012
Samsung profits put pressure on Apple
Booming sales of Galaxy smartphones have helped the South Korean group Samsung post record profits, piling pressure on its rival Apple to introduce a new iPhone. Samsung profits rose nearly 80 per cent in the last three months to £3.9bn. The next iPhone is widely expected in September.
McCafferty replaces Posen on MPC
The Government has chosen Ian McCafferty, the chief economic adviser of the CBI, the employers' body, to replace Adam Posen on the Bank of England's Monetary Policy Committee. Mr Posen's three-year term as an external member of the MPC finishes at the end of August.
Rain blamed for Marshall's loss
The paving specialist Marshalls lost the equivalent of six days' slab-laying because of the torrential rain in the first six months. That knocked revenues by £10m, or 5 per cent, to £167m on a year ago. The company is upping cost-cutting, including job cuts.
Oligarchs to bid for part of BP's stake
AAR, the Russian consortium that owns half the TNK-BP oil joint venture, has said it is preparing to bid for a further 25 per cent after BP put its 50 per cent holding up for sale last month. BP said it would consider an expression of interest from AAR if it received one.
- 1 The way the police have treated Cliff Richard is completely unacceptable
- 2 Michael Brown shooting: Amnesty International sends team within US for first time as National Guard deployed
- 3 Michael Brown shooting: Ferguson police shoot and kill second young black man
- 4 James Foley 'beheaded': Isis video shows militant with British accent 'execute US journalist' – and warns Obama of more to come
- 5 Reading Festival 2014: Tesco branch replaces salad and potatoes for Jagermesiter and vodka