Today's letter from the Editor
£14000 - £18000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An Office Administrator is requ...
£12000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: Due to expansion and growth of ...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Senior PHP Developer position with a...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: An Operations Leader is required to join a lea...
The Business Matrix: Thursday 9 August 2012
Avengers reaps a record for Disney
The huge global success of the movie Avengers Assemble helped Disney to report its biggest-ever quarterly profit yesterday. Pre-tax profits hit $3.03bn (£1.94bn) in the three months to June. The film, starring Scarlett Johansson, left, Jeremy Renner, Chris Evans and Mark Ruffalo, smashed US box-office records.
Euro architect warns of exodus
One of the founding fathers of the single currency has warned some nations may have to quit the euro. Otmar Issing said: "How many countries will be part of it [the eurozone] remains to be seen." Issing added that funds could not be channelled indefinitely to nations that did not reform their economies.
Rio Tinto pins its hopes on China
Rio Tinto tried to look on the bright side yesterday when it said China's economy would soon zoom ahead again. The FTSE 100-listed miner's first-half underlying earnings fell to $5.2bn (£3.3bn) from $7.7bn a year earlier, as sales dipped by 13 per cent to $253 bn.
Aer Lingus stake blow to Ryanair
Ryanair's chief Michael O'Leary suffered a setback after his attempt to block an inquiry into his minority stake in rival Aer Lingus was thrown out. Mr O'Leary, argues the issue of Ryanair's 30 per cent stake was not in the UK Competition Commission's jurisdiction.
- 1 Rarest Beanie Baby bought for just £10 at car boot sale could be sold for £62,500 on eBay
- 2 Katie Hopkins and The Sun editor are reported to police for incitement to racial hatred following migrant boat column
- 3 Katie Hopkins has just written a piece so hateful that it might give Hitler pause – why was it published?
- 4 Australian student Tommy Connolly, 23, adopts his pregnant, homeless 17-year-old cousin to give her a chance at 'a better life'
- 5 Cancel Sky at your peril: man spends 96 minutes in chat but fails to get rid of service