The Sport Matrix: Friday 10 October 2014

 

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Bale backed to overtake Rush

Chris Coleman has tipped Gareth Bale to eclipse Ian Rush as Wales’ all-time leading scorer. Bale has 14 goals for his country, halfway to Rush’s tally of 28. Ahead of tonight’s Euro 2016 Group B qualifier against Bosnia, Wales manager Coleman said: “I think Gareth can break Rushy’s record if he plays enough games for us. He is young enough and that is without taking his ability into consideration.”

Fallen Murray in race to make Finals

Andy Murray was knocked out in the third round of the Shanghai Rolex Masters yesterday, falling 2-6, 6-1, 6-2 to David Ferrer. The defeat could be crucial in the “Race to London”. The eight players who earn the most ranking points in 2014 will qualify for the season-ending Barclays ATP World Tour Finals at the O2 Arena. The 27-year-old Scot is now in 10th place, having been overtaken by Ferrer.

Strauss laments KP book ‘madness’

Andrew Strauss believes English cricket is the main victim of the “madness” surrounding Kevin Pietersen’s autobiography. Of the rrevelations this week, the former England captain said: “The victim here really isn’t Kevin Pietersen, or Andy Flower or Matt Prior or anyone; it’s actually the England cricket team and Alastair Cook and [returning coach] Peter Moores, who’ve got to try to take the side forward.”

Guinea striker quits squad over Ebola fear

The Guinea forward Lass Bangoura has quit the team’s training camp because of fears over the Ebola outbreak. Lass was due to play in Guinea’s Africa Cup of Nations qualifier against Ghana today, which had already been moved to Morocco because of concerns about Ebola.

However, he has now returned to his club Rayo Vallecano in Spain to calm the fears of his team-mates. “They were worried, so I came back to speak with them, and tell them that they shouldn’t be afraid,” he said.

This week the first person in Europe diagnosed with the disease was a nurse in Spain, which has seven people in quarantine and 84 under observation.

Perez puts safety car in pole position

Sergio Perez has called on the sport to introduce the safety car whenever a recovery vehicle is in operation during a grand prix. The Force India driver’s remarks come in the wake of Jules Bianchi’s accident on Sunday, which has left him fighting for his life after brain surgery.

Comments