The Sport Matrix: Monday 6 October 2014


Click to follow

Sale prevail as Wade rues error

Sale Sharks earned their second Premiership victory of the season as they beat Wasps 25-14. A crucial moment came four minutes before the interval, with Wasps 7-5 ahead, their scrum-half Charlie Davies had a clearance kick charged down by Chris Cusiter and the ball bounced into the in-goal area. Christian Wade fumbled and gave Cusiter an unexpected score that gave Sale momentum. MORE

Phelps to take pool break after arrest

Michael Phelps has announced he will take a break from swimming in order to confront his personal issues following his arrest for alleged drink driving last week. The most successful Olympic athlete in history, with 18 gold medals, was arrested and charged in Baltimore, Maryland, nearly 10 years after his first infraction for the same offence.

“The past few days have been extremely difficult,” Phelps said. “I recognise that this is not my first lapse in judgement, and I am extremely disappointed with myself. I’m going attend a programme that will provide the help I need to better understand myself.”

Brilliant Treve wins second Arc

Treve, the winner of the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe last year, once again took apart a quality field to become the first horse for 36 years to win Europe’s richest race twice. The winning margin this time was only two lengths rather than five, but it was another brilliant performance. MORE

Eriksen’s strike earns Spurs win

Tottenham Hotspur ended their run of four league games without a win as they defeated Southampton 1-0 at White Hart Lane. Christian Eriksen settled the match, finding a yard of space to finish one of the game’s few flowing moves, six minutes before the break. West Ham, meanwhile, earned a 2-0 home win against QPR. Nedum Onuoha’s own goal and Diafra Sakho’s effort ensured the victory.

Brown: Celtic ‘hid’ in shock defeat

Celtic captain Scott Brown accused his team of hiding during their shock 1-0 defeat at home to Hamilton. Ali Crawford gave Accies their first win at Parkhead for 76 years and put them top of the Premiership. Brown said he was “devastated”, adding: “We missed a few chances but at the  end we didn’t deserve anything. We didn’t play. We didn’t have enough movement. People were just hiding.”