Today's letter from the Editor
£65000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Technical Presales Engineer - central London ...
£20000 - £50000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Physiotherapist / Sports Ther...
£8 - £9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: Sales Executives / Advisors are required...
£14000 - £15000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An opportunity has arisen for a...
Page 3 Profile: Cate Blanchett, actress
Er, there’s a person in it: Cate Blanchett. She blew critics away last year with her performance as a socialite in the throes of a psychological breakdown in Woody Allen’s Blue Jasmine. At Saturday’s Screen Actors Guild Awards she won the award for Best Female Actor in a Leading Role.
Now tell us about the frock.
No, that’s the point. As Blanchett, 44, was interviewed for E! News on the red carpet, the channel’s “glam cam” did its usual lingering shot, sweeping up from her feet. She interrupted her interview and crouched down to ask the camera operator, “Hey, do you do that to guys?”
That would hardly be appropriate.
That’s her point. Hollywood has long been criticised for placing more value on an actress’s looks than her talents
Blanchett must make an eloquent spokesperson.
She’s not afraid to speak out about sexism. When she was cut off during her acceptance speech on Saturday she generated huge applause by objecting: “Twenty-nine seconds? Matthew McConaughey spoke about Neptune… I think I can have five seconds.”
Could this be the start of a revolution in Tinseltown?
One can only hope. At this month’s Golden Globes the Top of the Lake star Elisabeth Moss let E! know exactly what she thought of its “mani cam”, a feature that encourages actresses to show off their manicures by strutting their fingers down a mini red carpet. Instead of revealing all 10 digits, she displayed just one.
- 1 Tourist films plane's descent just metres above packed Caribbean beach
- 2 Indian woman creates 'Marriage CV' after parents put her on dating site: 'Definitely not marriage material. Won’t grow long hair, ever'
- 3 World Book Day: Boy 'excluded' from school after dressing up as Fifty Shades' Christian Grey
- 4 Have sex with your iPad thanks to the new sex toy no-one asked for
- 5 GamerGate: developer Tim Schafer provokes rage with joke about online gaming activists at industry awards