Today's letter from the Editor
£20000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This full service social media ...
£24000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: We are 'Changemakers in retail'...
Very Competitive: Austen Lloyd: Senior Conveyancer - South West We are see...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: DORSET MARKET TOWN - SENIOR PROPERTY SOLICITOR...
Page 3 Profile: Emmanuelle Riva, actress
Now that name rings a bell
And so it should. The 85-year-old is making waves in Hollywood after securing nominations for various awards for her role in Michael Haneke's Amour, about an elderly couple coping with dementia. On Saturday night she took the best actress award at the Los Angeles Film Critics' Association Awards. Those with longer memories will recall her stunning performance in the 1959 French film Hiroshima Mon Amour.
So what has she been doing all this time?
Riva continued to work in France to acclaim, but by the 1980s the larger roles had started to dry up. However both she and her Amour co-star Jean-Louis Trintignant appeared in Krzysztof Kieslowski's acclaimed Three Colours trilogy in the 1990s.
What next for Riva? An Oscar?
Could be. Last week she became the oldest nominee for Best Actress in the 2013 Academy Awards. She shares the category with the youngest, nine-year-old Quvenzhané Wallis, as well as Naomi Watts, Jessica Chastain and Jennifer Lawrence.
Is she enjoying the hoopla?
She said: "I never thought, while working throughout the years in Europe and France, that one day, I would cross the Atlantic Ocean, come to the United States, and be nominated. It is quite surreal for me."
- 1 Planes go hybrid-electric in important step to greener flight
- 2 Antonio Martin shooting: Police and protesters clash over teenager's death just five miles from Ferguson, Missouri
- 3 British actor Idris Elba cannot star as James Bond because he is black, says shock jock Rush Limbaugh
- 4 Hip hop is both racial and political, and for Iggy Azalea to suggest otherwise is insulting
- 5 Man hospitalised with pneumonia after downing eggnog at office Christmas party