Today's letter from the Editor
£23000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This small, friendly, proactive...
£14500 - £22800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A Software Developer is required to join a lea...
Excellent Salary: Austen Lloyd: A first rate opportunity to join a top ranking...
Page 3 Profile: Gloria De Piero, politician
Another politician? Surely another scandal of such…
Nope. With women dramatically underepresented in parliament, Labour’s shadow Minister for Women and Equalities has shed some light on how she got where she is today.
Tell us, then. Friends in high places? A spot of nepotism?
Hardly. From humble beginnings, De Piero is the absolute antithesis. Raised in Bradford, Yorkshire, the 41-year-old has described how growing up on benefits was “a miserable life”.
So what was her solution?
De Piero posed for topless photos when she was just 15, hoping she could create a better life for herself. “It was the era of Page 3,” she says in an interview with Red magazine. “You know, Samantha Fox, Linda Lusardi… All those women seemed to have a better life than me.”
And did it work?
No. De Piero later worked as a researcher before becoming a political correspondent and news reader for GMTV. She was selected by the local Labour Party to replace Geoff Hoon in Ashfield. She has been talked about as a potential Labour leader, but insists she is not in the running.
- 1 Liam Gallagher brands Kanye West 'utter s**t' during BRIT Awards performance
- 2 Isis burns thousands of books and rare manuscripts from Mosul's libraries
- 3 People who sleep more than eight hours are more likely to have a stroke, research shows
- 4 Kanye West climbs on table at Nando's to crowd chants of 'Yeezus' before Brit Awards 2015 performance of 'All Day'
- 5 New theory could prove how life began and disprove God