Today's letter from the Editor
£7 - £9 per hour: Recruitment Genius: Are you outgoing? Do you want to work in...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An opportunity has arisen for a...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: An exciting opportunity to join...
£30000 - £35000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: We have an excellent role for a...
Page 3 Profile: Gloria De Piero, politician
Another politician? Surely another scandal of such…
Nope. With women dramatically underepresented in parliament, Labour’s shadow Minister for Women and Equalities has shed some light on how she got where she is today.
Tell us, then. Friends in high places? A spot of nepotism?
Hardly. From humble beginnings, De Piero is the absolute antithesis. Raised in Bradford, Yorkshire, the 41-year-old has described how growing up on benefits was “a miserable life”.
So what was her solution?
De Piero posed for topless photos when she was just 15, hoping she could create a better life for herself. “It was the era of Page 3,” she says in an interview with Red magazine. “You know, Samantha Fox, Linda Lusardi… All those women seemed to have a better life than me.”
And did it work?
No. De Piero later worked as a researcher before becoming a political correspondent and news reader for GMTV. She was selected by the local Labour Party to replace Geoff Hoon in Ashfield. She has been talked about as a potential Labour leader, but insists she is not in the running.
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more