Today's letter from the Editor
Competitive: The Green Recruitment Company: The Organisation: The Green Recrui...
£350 - £400 per annum + competitive: Orgtel: Project Manager (specializing in ...
£40000 - £50000 per annum + competitive: Progressive Recruitment: Embedded Sof...
£50000 - £65000 per annum + Benefits: Progressive Recruitment: Working for a m...
Page 3 Profile: Gloria De Piero, politician
Another politician? Surely another scandal of such…
Nope. With women dramatically underepresented in parliament, Labour’s shadow Minister for Women and Equalities has shed some light on how she got where she is today.
Tell us, then. Friends in high places? A spot of nepotism?
Hardly. From humble beginnings, De Piero is the absolute antithesis. Raised in Bradford, Yorkshire, the 41-year-old has described how growing up on benefits was “a miserable life”.
So what was her solution?
De Piero posed for topless photos when she was just 15, hoping she could create a better life for herself. “It was the era of Page 3,” she says in an interview with Red magazine. “You know, Samantha Fox, Linda Lusardi… All those women seemed to have a better life than me.”
And did it work?
No. De Piero later worked as a researcher before becoming a political correspondent and news reader for GMTV. She was selected by the local Labour Party to replace Geoff Hoon in Ashfield. She has been talked about as a potential Labour leader, but insists she is not in the running.
- 1 'Women should not laugh in public,' says Turkey's Deputy Prime Minister in morality speech
- 2 The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
- 3 Is Ebola coming to Britain? UK health officials issue warning to doctors as outbreak fears grow
- 4 Richard Dawkins says 'date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse' on Twitter
- 5 Danish TV reporter is all business up top, all party down below
- < Previous
- Next >