Today's letter from the Editor
£30000 - £40000 per annum + BENS: Progressive Recruitment: Drupal Developer A ...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + bens: Progressive Recruitment: C# WEB DEVELOPER Le...
£240 - £260 per day: Progressive Recruitment: WPF Developer (C#, VB.Net) North...
£85 - £120 per day: Randstad Education Cheshire: KS2 teacher needed to do PPA ...
Page 3 Profile: Juliette Binoche, Actress
Un nouveau film?
Binoche, an arthouse darling, appeared in Cosmopolis alongside Robert Pattinson earlier this year. True to form, she's also filmed a couple of movies that aren't likely to see a wide release. But from tonight, the Parisian actress will take the lead in a new production of August Stringberg's 1888 play, Miss Julie. It's at the suitably highfalutin Barbican in London, and it's entirely in French.
Sacré bleu! Mais pourquoi?
If your grasp of French only extends to "Le bill, s'il vous plaît" – or the foolproof method of shouting English at volumes "loud" and "louder" – it could prove difficult. It's 120 full-on minutes of French without interval (no glace à la vanille for you). Thankfully, there are surtitles, and if you're not that into reading you can marvel at the costumes, designed by Lanvin's Alber Elbaz.
What a relief! And what's it about?
Mademoiselle Julie is about an upper-class woman who dares to fall in love with a servant, but this new production takes place in the present day. In other words, it's perfect Binoche fodder. But beware, her last theatre role in Britain, in dance show In-I, got a pasting from critics.
- 1 Arts Council to find new Arctic Monkeys in major funding shift that favours rock stars
- 2 Heading for the States? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 3 Not available in XL: Abercrombie & Fitch CEO Mike Jeffries accused of only wanting 'thin and beautiful people'
- 4 Boxing: Purdy set to join long list of British fighters who take the money – and then the beating
- 5 Join Ryanair! See the world! But we'll only pay you for nine months a year
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.