Today's letter from the Editor
Very Competitive Salary: Austen Lloyd: NORTH HAMPSHIRE NQ to MID LEVEL - An e...
Highly Attractive Pakage: Austen Lloyd: MANCHESTER - A highly attractive oppor...
£40000 - £50000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Marketing Manager (Campaigns, Offlin...
£90000 - £135000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Head of Marketing (B2C, Acquisition...
Page 3 Profile: Philip Pullman, author
Say a little prayer for me?
Author Philip Pullman has condemned the “terrible things” Islamic extremists have “done to young girls” in the name of religion.
Salman Rushdie MK II?
Speaking of recent unconfirmed reports of a Syrian girl stoned to death for using Facebook, Pullman, 67, said: “That’s what happens when religion gets its hands on the levers of power. As soon as it has any political influence, it does bad things; becomes wicked and cruel.” He continued: “I don’t believe there’s anything in the Koran about genital mutilation.”
What’s his attitude to zealots of other persuasions?
He was equally scathing about everyone from Salafi Muslims to extreme Orthodox Jews. Pullman, famous for the His Dark Materials fantasy trilogy, which features two children battling the repressive authority of the Magisterium (a thinly veiled Catholic Church), said: “They have different origins but their effect is to give power to a group of men who have an unhealthy interest in other peoples sexuality…That’s religion prying into places it doesn’t belong. We should resist it.”
He’s not afraid of ruffling feathers…
Pullman challenges oppressive dogma, encourages free thought and is used to attracting the wrath of religious figureheads. The Golden Compass, a 2007 film of his first Dark Materials book, was attacked by the Catholic League.
- 1 Reyhaneh Jabbari: Iran due to execute woman for murder of her alleged attempted rapist
- 2 Sainsbury's '50p challenge' poster telling staff to encourage customers to spend more placed in shop window instead of staff room
- 3 Expert urges cat lovers to own just one animal each
- 4 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 5 The Simpsons death: Creator Al Jean would 'kill himself' before character like Homer or Lisa
- < Previous
- Next >