Today's letter from the Editor
£300 - £350 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: The role could involve w...
£21000 - £35000 per annum: Randstad Education Cambridge: Qualified secondary s...
£22000 - £36000 per annum + MPR / UPR: Randstad Education Southampton: Our cli...
£28000 - £35000 per annum + negotiable: Sauce Recruitment: We have an exciting...
Page 3 Profile: The Unknown Soldier, first world war serviceman
Do we really have no idea who he is?
None at all. He was selected from four unidentified British servicemen, who were exhumed from the French battlefields of the First World War. Each body was carried into the chapel at St Pol on 7 November 1920. One was randomly selected and buried in the nave of Westminster Abbey on Armistice Day.
So he has become a symbol…
Yes, he represents the more than half a million soldiers who died fighting in the Great War, but who remain missing. According to the Commonwealth War Graves Commission, 187,861 men were buried but unidentified and 338,955 have no known grave. It is thought that the idea came from a chaplain who saw a wooden cross in France in 1916. On it was simply written: “An Unknown British Soldier”.
How was the Unknown Warrior welcomed back to home soil?
The soldier’s coffin was placed on a gun carriage and drawn through London by six black horses. King George V unveiled the Cenotaph and a two minute silence was observed at 11am, before the nameless man was taken to Westminster Abbey.
Do people still flock there today?
It is one of the most visited war graves in the world. This man, lying amid kings and statesmen, represents all who have sacrificed their lives in the British forces.
- 1 Salisbury ranked seventh-best city in the world to visit in Lonely Planet’s Best in Travel 2015
- 2 Disney announces new female-led film Moana
- 3 Banksy has not been arrested: Internet duped by fake report claiming artist's identity revealed
- 4 Kentucky gang rape: 15-year-old boy left in critical condition after sexual attack by group at party
- 5 Russell Brand threatened with arrest after filming outside Fox News headquarters