80 firefighters tackle blaze in Bow high rise flats
Approximately 80 firefighters are tackling a blaze in a block of high rise flats in east London.
The fire began at the building in Bow just before 1.30pm on Sunday, the London Fire Brigade have confirmed.
The blaze broke out on the fifth floor of the residential flats, destroying one apartment completely, and heavy smoke spread up until the 8th floor. 200 people had to be evacuated and one elderly woman was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.
Nine people were assisted from flats on floors seven to 10 by breathing apparatus crews.
Firefighters are still at the scene but the blaze is under control.
Liam Neeson's Downton dreams
Thriller is set in the secret world of British espionage
Bomber jacket worn by Mary Berry sells out within an hour
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
Scottish independence: David Cameron is becoming the 'George Bush of Britain'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
Scottish independence: The Queen breaks silence on referendum debate – as think tank warns of £14bn black hole if Scotland votes Yes
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
- 1 Thailand beach murders: Thai PM suggests 'attractive' female tourists cannot expect to be safe wearing bikinis
- 2 Scottish independence: What you shouldn't tweet about if you want to avoid jail today
- 3 Scottish independence: Five reasons Salmond is secretly hoping for a 'No' vote
- 4 Isis plan to 'behead random member of the public' in Sydney thwarted by Australian police
- 5 Archbishop of Canterbury admits doubts about existence of God