80 firefighters tackle blaze in Bow high rise flats
Approximately 80 firefighters are tackling a blaze in a block of high rise flats in east London.
The fire began at the building in Bow just before 1.30pm on Sunday, the London Fire Brigade have confirmed.
The blaze broke out on the fifth floor of the residential flats, destroying one apartment completely, and heavy smoke spread up until the 8th floor. 200 people had to be evacuated and one elderly woman was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.
Nine people were assisted from flats on floors seven to 10 by breathing apparatus crews.
Firefighters are still at the scene but the blaze is under control.
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
What do immigrants really think of Britain? Polish immigrant's Reddit post goes viral
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
With Douglas Carswell joining Ukip, my party has taken another giant step forward
- 1 Keira Knightley topless: Usually conservative actress does own take on #Freethenipple campaign for Interview Magazine
- 2 Oil tanker with $100 million cargo goes missing off Texas coast
- 3 George Galloway left with severe bruising after attack in Notting Hill by man 'shouting about the Holocaust'
- 4 Lady al-Qa’ida: On the trail of Dr Aafia Siddiqui, the world’s most wanted prisoner
- 5 A teacher speaks out: 'I'm effectively being forced out of a career that I wanted to love'
- < Previous
- Next >