80 firefighters tackle blaze in Bow high rise flats
Approximately 80 firefighters are tackling a blaze in a block of high rise flats in east London.
The fire began at the building in Bow just before 1.30pm on Sunday, the London Fire Brigade have confirmed.
The blaze broke out on the fifth floor of the residential flats, destroying one apartment completely, and heavy smoke spread up until the 8th floor. 200 people had to be evacuated and one elderly woman was taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.
Nine people were assisted from flats on floors seven to 10 by breathing apparatus crews.
Firefighters are still at the scene but the blaze is under control.
Oscars 2015: Birdman beats Boyhood as Eddie Redmayne and Patricia Arquette win big - as it happened
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
Aqsa Mahmood branded a 'disgrace' by her parents after claims she recruited three UK girls flying to Middle East
- 1 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 2 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 3 What color is The Dress, white and gold or blue and black? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Madonna claims jokes about her age tantamount to racism: 'No one would dare to say a degrading remark about being black'