A Royal Pregnancy! Duke and Duchess announce that Kate is pregnant
Monday 03 December 2012
Huzzah! The wait is over. The bump no gossip-rag figment. This afternoon, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge sent the nation into paroxysms with the announcement that - after one and a half years of marriage - Kate is expecting her first child.
The Duchess was taken to hospital this morning complaining of acute morning sickness.
And later St James's Palace said in a statement "Their Royal Highnesses the The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are very pleased to announce that The Duchess of Cambridge is expecting a baby".
The internet promptly erupted with with speculation and polls are already up and running (ahem, here) on what the royal baby should be called.
Then there's the pressing question of when the national holiday should be announced. And what maternity-wear the Duchess will favour. And whether there'll be a spike in joyous civil baby-making to follow Kate's ever fashionable lead.
Frankly it's an awful lot to take in on a Monday afternoon. But once we stop feeling giddy we promise to try.
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
French court convicts three over homophobic tweets, in case hailed as a 'significant victory' by LGBT rights campaigners
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
Islamic history is full of free thinkers - but recent attempts to suppress critical thought are verging on the absurd
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
- 1 Double chins could be 'cured' without surgery or dieting using new injection
- 2 The BBC has just done more to eradicate ‘terrorism’ than all our wars since 9/11
- 3 Dog thinks owner is drowning in lake, dives in and tries to pull him out
- 4 Christian blogger says she will not wear leggings in public because they entice men and cause them to look at her 'lustfully'
- 5 Thank heavens for Louise Mensch and her foul-mouthed tweets to world leaders