A Royal Pregnancy! Duke and Duchess announce that Kate is pregnant
Monday 03 December 2012
Huzzah! The wait is over. The bump no gossip-rag figment. This afternoon, the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge sent the nation into paroxysms with the announcement that - after one and a half years of marriage - Kate is expecting her first child.
The Duchess was taken to hospital this morning complaining of acute morning sickness.
And later St James's Palace said in a statement "Their Royal Highnesses the The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge are very pleased to announce that The Duchess of Cambridge is expecting a baby".
The internet promptly erupted with with speculation and polls are already up and running (ahem, here) on what the royal baby should be called.
Then there's the pressing question of when the national holiday should be announced. And what maternity-wear the Duchess will favour. And whether there'll be a spike in joyous civil baby-making to follow Kate's ever fashionable lead.
Frankly it's an awful lot to take in on a Monday afternoon. But once we stop feeling giddy we promise to try.
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
£23m Birmingham cycle scheme is attacked by Tory councillor for not catering to the elderly
Salmond accused of laughing off national debt with ‘what are they going to do: invade?’ joke
- 1 Scottish independence: Ireland since 1919 is a lesson for Scotland in what a Yes vote means
- 2 Thailand deaths: Pair's bloodied bodies found naked on Koh Tao beach
- 3 Vogue under fire for 'Big Booty' article
- 4 Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
- 5 Kanye West stops concert after two fans don't stand up - doesn't realise one is in wheelchair and the other disabled