Album: Paul McCreesh, Gabrieli Consort & PlayersA New Venetian Coronation 1595 (Signum)
The latest of Paul McCreesh's large-scale musical projects, following his award-winning realisation of Berlioz's colossal Grande Messe des Morts, is this updated re-recording of the album that in 1990 established the reputation of the Gabrieli Consort & Players, a detailed re-creation of the pageantry surrounding the coronation of Marino Grimani as Doge of Venice in 1595.
It's a marvellous achievement, incorporating the rapturous choral polyphony of Andrea and Giovanni Gabrieli interspersed with passages of organ and period-instrument arrangements of cornetts, sackbutts and shawms. It's never less than enthralling, especially the lengthy opening "The Procession".
Download: The Procession; Gloria à 16; Canzona  à 10
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
Ukip would cut billions from Scottish budget to fund English tax cuts
Russia's roadmap for annexing eastern Ukraine 'leaked from Vladimir Putin's office'
- 1 Michelle Rodriguez: Fast & Furious actor apologises after telling 'minorities' to stop taking on 'white' roles
- 2 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 3 This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
- 4 PornHub turns masturbation into energy in bid to save the planet
- 5 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory