Andy Coulson alleged to have conspired to bribe public officials to secure phone numbers of the Royal Family
Following stints with Reuters and the Press Association, Martin Hickman joined The Independent as a news editor in 2001. He became the Consumer Affairs Correspondent in September 2005 and has run the paper's trenchant campaigns on packaging, bank charges and factory-farmed chicken. He writes on subjects as diverse as food, finance, energy and fashion. With Tom Watson, he is author of a new book on the phone hacking scandal, Dial M for Murdoch - News Corporation and the Corruption of Britain.
Tuesday 20 November 2012
David Cameron’s former communications director, Andy Coulson, conspired to bribe public officials to secure the phone numbers of the Royal Family, according to the charges against him announced today.
While he was editing the News of the World, Mr Coulson and the paper’s royal editor Clive Goodman are said to have paid public officials to obtain information - including a royal phone directory known as the “Green Book”.
The two counts of conspiracy to commit misconduct in public life allegedly took place between 31 August 2002 and 31 January 2003, and between 31 January 31 and 3 June 2005.
Mr Coulson said in a statement: “I am extremely disappointed by this latest CPS decision. I deny the allegations made against me and will fight the charges in court.”
The 9 charts that show the 'left-wing' policies of Jeremy Corbyn the public actually agrees with
Labour leadership contender Jeremy Corbyn says 'we can learn a great deal from Karl Marx'
The last thing Labour needs is a leader like Jeremy Corbyn who people want to vote for
What the Labour party could look like under Jeremy Corbyn
I am the Jeremy Corbyn supporter that many will tell you doesn't exist
Public anger after French sunbather beaten up by gang for wearing a bikini in Reims park
- 1 Lord Sewel quits: Peer 'boasts of having sex with BBC presenter and seeing 13 mistresses'
- 2 Kenya President Uhuru Kenyatta clashes with President Obama on LGBT equality: ‘Gay rights is really a non-issue’
- 3 Topshop pulls 'ridiculously skinny' mannequins after being shamed by customer on Facebook
- 4 Five-year-old boy forced classmate to simulate oral sex at primary school, claims mother
- 5 Black and ethnic minority people twice as likely to be hit by Tory cuts than white people, report finds