Andy Coulson alleged to have conspired to bribe public officials to secure phone numbers of the Royal Family
Following stints with Reuters and the Press Association, Martin Hickman joined The Independent as a news editor in 2001. He became the Consumer Affairs Correspondent in September 2005 and has run the paper's trenchant campaigns on packaging, bank charges and factory-farmed chicken. He writes on subjects as diverse as food, finance, energy and fashion. With Tom Watson, he is author of a new book on the phone hacking scandal, Dial M for Murdoch - News Corporation and the Corruption of Britain.
Tuesday 20 November 2012
David Cameron’s former communications director, Andy Coulson, conspired to bribe public officials to secure the phone numbers of the Royal Family, according to the charges against him announced today.
While he was editing the News of the World, Mr Coulson and the paper’s royal editor Clive Goodman are said to have paid public officials to obtain information - including a royal phone directory known as the “Green Book”.
The two counts of conspiracy to commit misconduct in public life allegedly took place between 31 August 2002 and 31 January 2003, and between 31 January 31 and 3 June 2005.
Mr Coulson said in a statement: “I am extremely disappointed by this latest CPS decision. I deny the allegations made against me and will fight the charges in court.”
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a white stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
Russian warships in English Channel 'to conduct anti-aircraft and anti-submarine military drills'
- 1 BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
- 2 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 3 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 4 'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats