Costa Concordia salvage operation to start next week
Wednesday 11 September 2013
Work to turn the stricken Concordia cruise ship upright is set to start next week, 20 months after it capsized of the Italian coast, killing 32 people.
National Civil Protection agency chief Franco Gabrielli said attempts to right the ship could begin as soon as September 16. He stressed that the exact date for the operation will only be known the day before, since the final decision depends upon weather and sea conditions.
The ship will eventually be towed away and scrapped.
The Concordia's hull was gashed by a reef it struck when sailing close to Giglio's rocky shores in January last year. It rapidly took on water and capsized. Its captain is being tried for manslaughter and abandoning ship.
It scooped up an unprecedented 11 Academy Awards when it was first remade in 1959
Actors star in Woody Allen's 'Magic in the Moonlight'
Olympic diver has made his modelling debut for Adidas
...and the perfect time to visit them
Newcastle winger reveals he has testicular cancer - and is losing his trademark long hair as a result
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Scottish independence: Yes campaign feels the heat as Alex Salmond's NHS claims come under furious attack
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
- 1 iPhone 6 review: bigger, thinner, faster, brighter - Apple proves you can make the best better
- 2 Sports Direct security guard allegedly banned Jewish schoolboys and told them: 'No Jews, no Jews'
- 3 Watch a man race the Circle line - and win
- 4 Pakistani passenger power forces two politicians off plane
- 5 Kanye West halts concert after two fans don't stand up - doesn't realise one is in wheelchair and the other disabled