Elfie Hopkins (15)
Starring: Ray Winstone, Jaime Winstone
While you don't doubt the sincerity of Welshman Ryan Andrews' aim to create "patient, classic storytelling" in his debut feature, the reality falls hopelessly short.
Nor will admiring references to Chinatown lend it any heft as homegrown noir. Jaime Winstone plays Elfie, a sulky would-be gumshoe whose idea of "working a case" is to smoke dope, stare out of a conveniently situated window and mutter into a voice recorder.
The arrival of a new family in her remote Welsh village coincides with the sudden disappearance of neighbours supposedly bound on a "bespoke" holiday. Only Elfie and nerdy mate Dylan (Aneurin Barnard) smell a rat. It starts out like a Children's Film Foundation mystery before degenerating into a weird slasher comedy with cannibalism on the side. Ray Winstone as a random butcher brings cachet but not credibility to an under-rehearsed, unfocused, ill-written mess.
Jo from Northern Ireland was less than impressed by Russell Brand's attempt to stage a publicity stunt
Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
Shock poll shows voters believe Ukip is to the left of the Tories
Disgruntled RBS worker writes hilarious open letter to Russell Brand after anti-capitalist publicity stunt leaves him hungry
New era of cheap oil 'will destroy green revolution'
Ukip founder Alan Sked and Nigel Farage 'begged Enoch Powell to stand as a candidate'
Ukip candidate jokes about 'shooting peasants' in racist and homophobic rant
- 1 Nigel Farage: Me vs Russell Brand on Question Time – he's got the chest hair but where are his ideas?
- 2 Harry Potter fans can apply to the Hogwarts-inspired College of Wizardry
- 3 Jessica Chambers: 19-year-old woman 'doused with lighter fluid and burned alive' in the US
- 4 Russell Brand calls Nigel Farage 'poundshop Enoch Powell' in BBC Question Time debate
- 5 Orange Wednesdays are no more