Starring: Juliette Binoche, Anaïs Demoustier
Polish director Malgoska Szumowska's drama examines female sexuality as
a force in the modern marketplace.
Juliette Binoche plays Anne, a Parisian magazine journalist investigating student prostitution via interviews with two young women, both of whom have escaped the poverty trap by selling themselves to men – "bored husbands", in the main. As Anne becomes more involved in the girls' stories she starts to wonder if there's something missing from her own comfortable bourgeois life.
The film presents some eye-catching sex, most of it so unthreatening you wonder if it's not somehow advocating prostitution: the worst thing that can happen, apparently, is for a client (still naked) to serenade you with a guitar rendering of "Autumn Leaves". There's a whispered suggestion that Anne, mother to a layabout teenager and wife to a porno-watching husband, is as much a "slave" as the young hookers, but that comparison won't wash. Anne is able to live with dignity intact and earn without risk – they can't. It may have something to say about "the male gaze", but dramatically Elles is pretty inert.
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
Do you realise just how foolish the UK looks?
Ukip Douglas Carswell defection: Tory MP jumps ship to join Nigel Farage
- 1 Ashya King missing: Police hunt five-year-old boy with brain tumour snatched from Southampton hospital by his parents
- 2 Notting Hill Carnival: Woman shares selfie after being ‘punched in face for telling man to stop groping her’
- 3 Daily Show's Jon Stewart destroys Fox News for its Ferguson coverage
- 4 Botched ice bucket challenge leaves man critically injured after plane drops hundreds of gallons of water
- 5 Friends reunion: Jennifer Aniston, Lisa Kudrow and Courteney Cox perform mini sketch on Jimmy Kimmel Live
- < Previous
- Next >