Along with daily parades, fireworks and other festivities, the Shanghai World Expo's 192 participating countries are contributing to a six-month calendar of music, dance and stage shows.
Here are some highlights:
- April 30: Ceremonies, fireworks along Shanghai's Huangpu river and a show put together by an international production team herald the Expo's start.
- May 1: Expo opens with 500,000 visitors expected on first day.
- May 13: "Jazz: An American Tradition" - concert featuring Herbie Hancock, Dee Dee Bridgewater and the Thelonious Monk Institute.
- June 2: Italy Day - composer Ennio Morricone conducts.
- June 12 Japan Day - Cosplay actors bring manga cartoon, anime movie and video game characters to life.
- June 21: France Day - pop-rock singer -M- gives an outdoor concert.
- July 17: India stages a Bollywood spectacular with 50 performers singing and dancing in a re-enactment of 40 years of classic movie moments.
- September 6: North Korea Day - the Pyonyang Art Troupe performs fan, drum, and bell dances.
- September 8: Britain Day - world premiere of "Swanning Around", a dance production inspired by the ballet "Swan Lake".
- October 1: China's national day - details to be announced.
- October 31 Closing ceremonies and Expo Shanghai Summit - participating countries will sign a declaration summarising the findings of various forums held during the event.