Man aged 70 held in school sex abuse probe
Wednesday 13 March 2013
A 70-year-old man has been arrested by police investigating historic child sex abuse at a school.
The suspect, from Lancashire, was held by officers from the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate this morning.
The arrest follows three others as part of an inquiry into previously unreported alleged child sex abuse offences at Swaylands School in Penshurst, Kent, between 1967 and 1993.
The investigation follows an inquiry back in 1993 which resulted in the conviction of two men for six offences each of sexual offences against children.
A spokesman for the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate said the pair were sentenced to three years for each offence, which ran concurrently, and related to four victims.
New information received by Kent Police has since resulted in a further investigation by detectives.
Since the new inquiry started, four suspects have been arrested and some 20 victims identified, located across the country and abroad.
A 72-year-old man from Norfolk, a 69-year-old man from Edinburgh and a 60-year-old man from Berkshire have all been arrested in connection and questioned by detectives.
All those suspects are on police bail, and an additional three suspects identified by officers died before the investigation was launched.
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
The young are the new poor: Sharp increase in number of under-25s living in poverty, while over-65s are better off than ever
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Green Party Caroline Lucas interview: 'We could be on the edge of something very big'
- 1 Tamir Rice: 12-year-old boy playing with fake gun dies after being shot by police in Ohio park
- 2 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 3 Naked free runner captured in breathtaking photographs above London's streets
- 4 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 5 Manchester United named Premier League's loudest fans despite late push by Chelsea according to 'Smart Meter' app