Man aged 70 held in school sex abuse probe
Wednesday 13 March 2013
A 70-year-old man has been arrested by police investigating historic child sex abuse at a school.
The suspect, from Lancashire, was held by officers from the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate this morning.
The arrest follows three others as part of an inquiry into previously unreported alleged child sex abuse offences at Swaylands School in Penshurst, Kent, between 1967 and 1993.
The investigation follows an inquiry back in 1993 which resulted in the conviction of two men for six offences each of sexual offences against children.
A spokesman for the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate said the pair were sentenced to three years for each offence, which ran concurrently, and related to four victims.
New information received by Kent Police has since resulted in a further investigation by detectives.
Since the new inquiry started, four suspects have been arrested and some 20 victims identified, located across the country and abroad.
A 72-year-old man from Norfolk, a 69-year-old man from Edinburgh and a 60-year-old man from Berkshire have all been arrested in connection and questioned by detectives.
All those suspects are on police bail, and an additional three suspects identified by officers died before the investigation was launched.
EU referendum: David Cameron's rules are a 'democratic disgrace', says French-born Scottish politician set to be denied a vote
British tourists complain that impoverished boat migrants are making holidays 'awkward' in Kos
Migrants in Kos: Photos show real tragedy after Brits abroad complain of 'awkward' holidays
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
Australian man punched in the face for defending Muslim women from abuse on train
David Starkey 'tells Amal Clooney to shut up and stop over-promoting human rights'
- 1 Saudi Arabia mosque bombing: Two volunteer security guards hailed as heroes for stopping Isis suicide bomber reaching worshippers
- 2 Maisie Williams has an excellent message for one confused fan
- 3 There is something wrong but very right about this Bible illustration
- 4 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
- 5 Tampon tax scrapped in Canada after petition convinces conservative government