Man aged 70 held in school sex abuse probe
Wednesday 13 March 2013
A 70-year-old man has been arrested by police investigating historic child sex abuse at a school.
The suspect, from Lancashire, was held by officers from the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate this morning.
The arrest follows three others as part of an inquiry into previously unreported alleged child sex abuse offences at Swaylands School in Penshurst, Kent, between 1967 and 1993.
The investigation follows an inquiry back in 1993 which resulted in the conviction of two men for six offences each of sexual offences against children.
A spokesman for the Kent and Essex Serious Crime Directorate said the pair were sentenced to three years for each offence, which ran concurrently, and related to four victims.
New information received by Kent Police has since resulted in a further investigation by detectives.
Since the new inquiry started, four suspects have been arrested and some 20 victims identified, located across the country and abroad.
A 72-year-old man from Norfolk, a 69-year-old man from Edinburgh and a 60-year-old man from Berkshire have all been arrested in connection and questioned by detectives.
All those suspects are on police bail, and an additional three suspects identified by officers died before the investigation was launched.
Olympic diver has made his modelling debut for Adidas
Daniele Watts: Django Unchained actress detained by Los Angeles police after being mistaken for a prostitute
Scottish independence referendum: A nation divided against itself
The political class is doing what Hitler couldn’t – destroying Britain
Scottish independence: Nationalist leader Jim Sillars threatens pro-union companies with 'day of reckoning' after independence
Portuguese academic says British are 'filthy, violent and drunk'
Russia freezes Ukraine into submission: Kiev admits country doesn't have enough fuel for winter
- 1 Thailand beach murders: Thai PM suggests 'attractive' female tourists cannot expect to be safe wearing bikinis
- 2 Scottish independence: Learn from Quebec's mistakes and beware of promises. Vote Yes.
- 3 A bottle of wine a day is not bad for you and abstaining is worse than drinking, scientist claims
- 4 Revealed after 75 years of secrecy: 'Fifi' the glamorous WW2 special agent who tested British spies' resolve
- 5 Hitler’s former food taster reveals the horrors of the Wolf’s Lair