Muammar Gaddafi aide, Ahmed Qaddaf al-Dam, is held in Cairo raid
Tuesday 19 March 2013
A close aide of the former Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi was arrested today after a siege at his Cairo home.
Ahmed Qaddaf al-Dam surrendered to security forces after shots were fired. An intelligence official under Gaddafi, Qaddaf al-Dam is among dozens wanted for their role in Libya’s 2011 civil war.
Police surrounded his home in the affluent Zamalek neighbourhood before dawn. Gunshots were heard during the siege but it was unclear who fired at whom.
Geoffrey Macnab reviews American Hustle, also starring Christian Bale and Bradley Cooper
elephant appealThe first 23 lots in our charity auction have now gone. But there are 22 more still up for grabs
Michelle Nijhuis' daughter insists (s)he is, and she learnt a valuable lesson on gender in books
news Opponents claim it would stop performers such as Beyonce and Madonna appearing on TV
It takes a platoon of chefs, litres of brandy and rum, and almost 100kg of dried fruit
newsThat most ancient of crimes is on the rise, threatening farmers' livelihoods, community trust – and human health
- 1 America's 'virgin births'? One in 200 mothers 'became pregnant without having sex'
- 2 Sun will 'flip upside down' within weeks, says Nasa
- 3 Christmas comes early: Justin Bieber is 'retiring from music'
- 4 Iain Duncan Smith leaves Commons food banks debate early
- 5 Children evacuated from swimming pool after prosthetic leg mistaken for paedophile