Muammar Gaddafi aide, Ahmed Qaddaf al-Dam, is held in Cairo raid
Tuesday 19 March 2013
A close aide of the former Libyan dictator Muammar Gaddafi was arrested today after a siege at his Cairo home.
Ahmed Qaddaf al-Dam surrendered to security forces after shots were fired. An intelligence official under Gaddafi, Qaddaf al-Dam is among dozens wanted for their role in Libya’s 2011 civil war.
Police surrounded his home in the affluent Zamalek neighbourhood before dawn. Gunshots were heard during the siege but it was unclear who fired at whom.
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
Report finds that Britain's wages are the most unequal in Europe
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
Almost a third of school pupils believe 'Muslims are taking over our country', study claims
Gay marriage 'Bert and Ernie' cake bakery found guilty of discrimination in Northern Ireland
- 1 Toddler throws a tantrum at the White House – in front of Barack Obama
- 2 Irish people are travelling home from all over the world so they can vote to legalise gay marriage
- 3 Picture of couple posing with beached dolphin 'that later died' causes outrage
- 4 16-year-old girl beaten and burned alive by lynch mob in Rio Bravo, Guatemala
- 5 Witch doctor arrested after forcing newborn baby to walk in Indian village