Noel Gallagher: 'I do like The X Factor, for my sins'
Oasis star backs Christopher Maloney and James Arthur
Noel Gallagher has given support for The X Factor contestants Chris Maloney and James Arthur ahead of this weekend’s final.
Gallagher told The Mirror: “I’ve been watching X Factor and I wouldn’t mind seeing the Scouser [Maloney] win, because it’d be great to watch him have a nervous breakdown.”
His comment follows rumours that if cruise singer Maloney wins he will ruin the show’s credibility and kill the prospect of a 10th series next year.
Gallagher added: “But I also think James Arthur should win. That lad’s the best out of them all…I do like the X Factor, I’ve got to say, for my sins.”
The Oasis star’s positive comments come as a surprise, given his previous disparaging views about The X Factor.
Last year he told Digital Spy: “The groups are f***ing appalling, they really are f***ing dreadful!”
And in 2008 he said: “If somebody is dangling this carrot of ‘fame and fortune’ in front of a check-out girl from Barnsley who can sing like Britney Spears then they’re going to go for it.
“But it seems to bring on instant mental illness…You’ve got someone like Dannii Minogue telling you you’re really talented- if there’s one person in the room who wouldn’t know talent if it kicked them in the a*** it’s Dannii Minogue.”
- 1 Cameron's freebie to apartheid South Africa
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail