Page 3 Profile: Madhura Nagendra, olympic interloper
Monday 30 July 2012
Who's that girl?
That was the question on everyone's lips when an unknown woman gate-crashed the Indian team's lap of the Olympic Stadium during the opening ceremony on Friday night. Dressed in turquoise jeans and a red jacket, she made no attempt to blend in with the delegation, going so far as to march alongside the flag-bearer.
Sounds a bit dangerous
Indian officials certainly think so. Their press attaché, Harpal Singh Bedi, said the incident was "definitely a security lapse". But Sebastian Coe played down concerns, telling reporters the interloper was simply "a cast member who clearly got slightly over-excited".
So the mystery's been solved?
Sort of. Indian newspapers named the woman as Madhura Nagendra, a graduate student from Bangalore who now lives in London. According to the paper, Nagendra – who goes by the name of Madhura Honey on her Facebook account – had posted photos of her Olympic passes online prior to the ceremony.
The Indian delegation's acting chef de mission, Brig PK Muralidharan Raja, said his team had submitted a letter "expressing our strongest resentment on the matter" to organisers but were waiting for a response. Coe said that games officials would be having their own discussions about the incident.
The secret report that helps Israel hide facts
Land for gas: Merkel and Putin discussed secret deal could end Ukraine crisis
Woman and two children killed by mob in riots over 'blasphemous' Facebook post in Pakistan
Richard Dawkins tweets: 'Date rape is bad, stranger rape is worse'
Putin is 'thuggish, dishonest and reckless', says British ambassador to US
Boozy, ignorant, intolerant, but very polite – Britain as others see us
- 1 Russell Brand accuses FOX News anchor Sean Hannity of terrorism after aggressive Israel-Gaza debate
- 2 Pope Francis issues top 10 tips for happiness – including don’t try to convert other people
- 3 Arturo Vidal to Manchester United: Midfielder set to force through move to Louis van Gaal's Red Devils - reports
- 4 Disney heiress Abigail disowns her share of family profits in West Bank company
- 5 Israel's propaganda machine is finally starting to misfire
- < Previous
- Next >