Page 3 Profile: Madhura Nagendra, olympic interloper
Monday 30 July 2012
Who's that girl?
That was the question on everyone's lips when an unknown woman gate-crashed the Indian team's lap of the Olympic Stadium during the opening ceremony on Friday night. Dressed in turquoise jeans and a red jacket, she made no attempt to blend in with the delegation, going so far as to march alongside the flag-bearer.
Sounds a bit dangerous
Indian officials certainly think so. Their press attaché, Harpal Singh Bedi, said the incident was "definitely a security lapse". But Sebastian Coe played down concerns, telling reporters the interloper was simply "a cast member who clearly got slightly over-excited".
So the mystery's been solved?
Sort of. Indian newspapers named the woman as Madhura Nagendra, a graduate student from Bangalore who now lives in London. According to the paper, Nagendra – who goes by the name of Madhura Honey on her Facebook account – had posted photos of her Olympic passes online prior to the ceremony.
The Indian delegation's acting chef de mission, Brig PK Muralidharan Raja, said his team had submitted a letter "expressing our strongest resentment on the matter" to organisers but were waiting for a response. Coe said that games officials would be having their own discussions about the incident.
Over 50,000 families shipped out of London boroughs in the past three years due to welfare cuts and soaring rents
EU asylum policy is 'a direct threat to our civilisation', says Nigel Farage
The Rothschild Libel: Why has it taken 200 years for an anti-Semitic slur that emerged from the Battle of Waterloo to be dismissed?
General Election 2015: SNP and its activists 'openly racist' towards the English, Farage says
General Election 2015: UK will be 'run for the wealthy and powerful' if Tories retain power, Labour warns
Schools forced to act as 'miniature welfare states' with teachers buying underwear and even haircuts for poor pupils
- 1 Oxygen-starved 'dead zones' with no marine life up to 100-miles long discovered in the Atlantic Ocean
- 2 The man who filmed the Freddie Gray video has been arrested at gunpoint
- 3 Indonesia executions: Death row British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford will refuse to wear a blindfold when she faces firing squad
- 4 How the language you speak changes your view of the world
- 5 Tory activist asked to step down after Labour candidate Rupa Huq is 'manhandled' while questioning Boris Johnson on the campaign trail