Record-breaking yachtsman becomes video game character
Friday 04 December 2009
Mike Perham, the British teenager who became a star of solo sailing when at the age of 17 he completed a single-handed circumnavigation of the globe, has been digitized by videogaming giant Electronic Arts and will appear as a downloadable character in
Sims 3: World Adventures.
World Adventures is an expansion pack to the popular Sims 3 game, a "social simulation" game which enables players to create houses, career and social events for various in-game characters.
Whereas gameplay is usually based within one virtual neighborhood, World Adventures adds various world locations, vacations and activities to the core game. EA is keen to bring in real world achievers into the game and Mike Perham follows pop star Pixie Lott who signed up earlier this year.
Mike made a previous record-breaking excursion in 2004 when he completed a solo voyage across the Atlantic Ocean aged 14 years, 9 months, and is currently preparing for the Bounty Boat Expedition in 2010, joining two other adventurers in a recreation of William Bligh's 3,700 nautical mile survivalist journey following the famous Mutiny on the Bounty in 1798.
Mike Perham's website: http://www.challengemike.com/
The Bounty Boat Challenge: http://www.bountyboat.com/
A cautionary tale for ambitious would-be authors
X Factor judge will appear in court later this month
The Google future, including microphones in every ceiling and data sent directly to your brain
- 1 Dear Sir Jimmy Savile: A comedian's words of valediction to the nation's trusted uncle
- 2 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 3 Teenage girl convicted of robbery after taking pre-crime selfie wielding knife
- 4 Newly vegan Beyoncé wears fox fur to dine in meat free restaurant
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent