'Rock the boat' for equality: Baroness Lawrence addresses the TUC conference
Wednesday 11 September 2013
The mother of Stephen Lawrence, who was murdered by racists, has urged workers to speak up in offices and factories to tackle inequality.
Baroness Lawrence told the TUC conference in Bournemouth that employees should “rock the boat” to improve conditions and boost the job prospects of young people, especially those from ethnic minority backgrounds.
She highlighted the fact that more than half of black men aged 18 to 24 are unemployed compared with a national figure of 25 per cent. “The inequality facing young men and women is preventing them taking part in society to the best of their ability,” she said.
sportLiverpool 5 Norwich City 1: Uruguayan striker has now scored 11 league goals against the club
arts + entsOlivier-nominated actor and singer is set to star in Lloyd Webber's musical about the Profumo affair
filmWith more than 70 per cent of early films lost, archivists are scouring the world to preserve the precious examples that remain
sportThe coach of Chalfont St Peter's under-10s football team was relieved of his duties after he sent an email to parents that said: 'I am only interested in winning'
techA piece of new hi-tech kit aims to get us scribbling again
indybestMake getting out of the wrong side of bed on cold winter mornings a thing of the past with our selection of night-time covers
life + styleClarissa Baldwin is the brains behind the slogan 'A Dog is for Life not just for Christmas'
- 1 North Korea: Kim Jong Un 'sacks powerful uncle and has his aides executed'
- 2 The hardwired difference between male and female brains could explain why men are 'better at map reading'
- 3 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 ‘Put it in my mouth’: Viewers outraged by apparent reference to oral sex in VIP e-cig advert