'Rock the boat' for equality: Baroness Lawrence addresses the TUC conference
Wednesday 11 September 2013
The mother of Stephen Lawrence, who was murdered by racists, has urged workers to speak up in offices and factories to tackle inequality.
Baroness Lawrence told the TUC conference in Bournemouth that employees should “rock the boat” to improve conditions and boost the job prospects of young people, especially those from ethnic minority backgrounds.
She highlighted the fact that more than half of black men aged 18 to 24 are unemployed compared with a national figure of 25 per cent. “The inequality facing young men and women is preventing them taking part in society to the best of their ability,” she said.
Exclusive: 'Putin's Russia has been my biggest regret,' says Nato's outgoing Secretary General
The Osborne Ultimatum: Chancellor’s benefits freeze bombshell will affect ten million households
There’s no excuse for Dave Lee Travis’s behaviour, but we need to keep a sense of proportion
Should gay sex be illegal? 16% of Britons think so
Mark Reckless becomes second Tory MP to defect to Ukip in a month
Benefits 'smart cards' plan revealed by Iain Duncan Smith to stop claimants spending welfare money on alcohol
- 1 Snoop Dogg and Jared Leto buy a stake in Reddit as A-list invests $50m
- 2 Prince held a Facebook Q&A and this is the only question he answered
- 3 Car tax disc changes: Two days to go - and they affect you much more than just not displaying a piece of paper
- 4 Now we know whose fault it is if you end up being murdered in Thailand
- 5 35,000 walrus gather ashore on north-west Alaska beach 'for a rest'
- < Previous
- Next >