'Rock the boat' for equality: Baroness Lawrence addresses the TUC conference
Wednesday 11 September 2013
The mother of Stephen Lawrence, who was murdered by racists, has urged workers to speak up in offices and factories to tackle inequality.
Baroness Lawrence told the TUC conference in Bournemouth that employees should “rock the boat” to improve conditions and boost the job prospects of young people, especially those from ethnic minority backgrounds.
She highlighted the fact that more than half of black men aged 18 to 24 are unemployed compared with a national figure of 25 per cent. “The inequality facing young men and women is preventing them taking part in society to the best of their ability,” she said.
Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
Greece crisis: IMF was pushed around by Angela Merkel and Nicholas Sarkozy – and now it is being humiliated
'I wish the BBC would stop calling it Islamic State' – David Cameron unleashes frustration at broadcaster
Forget little green men – aliens will look like humans, says Cambridge University evolution expert
Greece crisis: The wider lesson is that it’s time to abandon this failed experiment in currencies
Girl, 7, stares down hate preacher at Ohio festival with pro-LGBT rainbow flag gesture
- 1 Nathan Collier: Montana man inspired by same-sex marriage ruling requests right to wed two wives
- 2 James Blunt was special guest on the highest-rating Top Gear episode ever
- 3 People all over the world are getting semicolon tattoos to draw attention to mental health
- 4 Van driver who comforted Clark Carlisle and called 999 after suicide attempt dies age 24
- 5 Baby rescued 1km out to sea after parents forgot about her