'Rock the boat' for equality: Baroness Lawrence addresses the TUC conference
Wednesday 11 September 2013
The mother of Stephen Lawrence, who was murdered by racists, has urged workers to speak up in offices and factories to tackle inequality.
Baroness Lawrence told the TUC conference in Bournemouth that employees should “rock the boat” to improve conditions and boost the job prospects of young people, especially those from ethnic minority backgrounds.
She highlighted the fact that more than half of black men aged 18 to 24 are unemployed compared with a national figure of 25 per cent. “The inequality facing young men and women is preventing them taking part in society to the best of their ability,” she said.
Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
The open loathing between Barack Obama and Benjamin Netanyahu just got worse
9 reasons Greece's experiment with the radical left is doomed to failure
President Putin is a dangerous psychopath - reason is not going to work with him
Have we reached 'peak food'? Shortages loom as global production rates slow
Britain's widening poverty gap should be causing outrage at the start of the election campaign
- 1 Three-year-old boy shoots pregnant mother and father in New Mexico
- 2 Stephen Fry explains what he would say if he was 'confronted by God'
- 3 Jewish community urged to boycott Cornwall village after residents vote for 'Hitlers Walk' sign to be reinstated
- 4 Gorillaz Phase 4: Cartoon supergroup is back as new artwork is unveiled
- 5 Benedict Cumberbatch's Alan Turing gay-rights campaign snubbed by Prince William and Kate Middleton