'Rock the boat' for equality: Baroness Lawrence addresses the TUC conference
Wednesday 11 September 2013
The mother of Stephen Lawrence, who was murdered by racists, has urged workers to speak up in offices and factories to tackle inequality.
Baroness Lawrence told the TUC conference in Bournemouth that employees should “rock the boat” to improve conditions and boost the job prospects of young people, especially those from ethnic minority backgrounds.
She highlighted the fact that more than half of black men aged 18 to 24 are unemployed compared with a national figure of 25 per cent. “The inequality facing young men and women is preventing them taking part in society to the best of their ability,” she said.
New essay by JK Rowling went live on Pottermore site on Friday
New UK station Russia Today gives a very bizarre view of Britain
Pope Francis declares evolution and Big Bang theory are real and God is not 'a magician with a magic wand'
Huge surge in Ukip support after EU funding row, according to new poll
Ukip ‘exploiting grooming scandal’ to secure party’s first police chief
Nigel Farage: 'There’s nothing wrong with white people blacking up'
Maureen Lipman says 'she can't vote Labour while Ed Miliband is leader'
Muslims, immigration and teenage pregnancy: British people are ignorant about almost everything
- 1 'Nasa Confirms Six Days of Darkness in December': No, they don't - it's a hoax
- 2 Canadian actor punched in face after 'Islamophobia' experiment goes wrong in wake of Ottawa shooting
- 3 Woman blinded as a child can see again after hitting her head on a coffee table
- 4 Paul Hollywood: Police asked if I wanted them to arrest Mary Berry for vandalism after she 'defaced' my car
- 5 If you think Russell Brand’s new book is confused, you should read what his critics have to say about it