The 8th annual Skal International Ecotourism Awards were given November 9 to highlight the best practices in ecotourism around the world among tour operators, accomodations and transportation providers, corporations and more, both public and private.
The awards were presented at the 70th Skal World Congress at the Palace of Arts in Budapest, with a total of 49 entries submitted around the world from 25 countries: seven from Asia, 11 from the Americas, 15 from Europe, 10 from Africa and six from Oceania.
The competitors were evaluated by three independent judges, with the primary critera being contribution to the conservation of nature and cultural heritage, community involvement, educational features, business viability and innovation.
Skal International, operating since 1934, is the largest organization of the travel and tourism professionals in the world, with more than 20,000 members in 90 countries.
List of Winners
1. Tour Operators and Travel Agents: Frontiers North Adventures, Canada
2. Urban Accommodation: We Care - Operation Penguin: Norway
3. Rural Accommodation: Basecamp Masai Mara: Kenya, Norway
4. General Countryside: Sustainable Ecotourism: Australia
5. City and Villages: Goedgedacht Trust: South Africa
6. Educational Programmes - Media: Midlands Meander Education Project: South Africa
Website: http://www.skal.org/html/ecotourism/I/eco.htmReuse content