Stanton agrees $7.35m deal with Yankees

Click to follow
The Independent Online

Stanton agreed on Monday with the New York Yankees on a $7.35 million, three-year contract that brings back a key component of the World Series champions.

Stanton agreed on Monday with the New York Yankees on a $7.35 million, three-year contract that brings back a key component of the World Series champions.

"I had several other options, including some to close," Stanton said. "There were a lot of things I had to weigh, but none of those things kept me from wanting to stay in New York."

The 32-year-old left-hander was 2-2 with a 4.33 ERA in 73 games last season. He is 12-4 with a 4.20 ERA and nine saves since joining the Yankees in December 1996.

Stanton has won two World Series championships with the Yankees and pitched in the last eight postseasons. He has 1.09 ERA in 33 postseason innings.

"I've had a great run in New York so far, and obviously I didn't think it was over," Stanton said. "We got the numbers where we needed to get them and I'm happy to still be in the pinstripes."

Keeping Stanton addresses part of the Yankees' bullpen needs, but they still have not resolved their biggest offseason question - whether to re-sign David Cone, who went 12-9 last season with a 3.44 ERA and pitched a perfect game.

Cone, who turns 37 on 2 January, has a history of arm problems and struggled down the stretch, making the Yankees hesitant to give him a two-year contract. But Cone rebounded in the postseason, going 2-0 with a 1.29 ERA in two starts.

The Yankees are said to be mulling a $9.5 million, one-year offer to Cone with a club option for a second year. Cone is holding out for a second year, yet it is uncertain whether any of his other suitors - Cleveland, Boston, Baltimore or the Mets - will offer him that.

Comments