Tea Break: Yorkshire 398; Hampshire 159 & 80-3 (following on)

Tea on the third day (Hampshire won toss)
Click to follow
The Independent Online

The magic which Matthew Hoggard had conjured up with the ball in the Hampshire first innings to help skittle them out cheaply rubbed off on his fellow Yorkshire strike bowler Tim Bresnan second time around after the follow-on had been enforced.

Not even the weather could prevent Yorkshire from their wicket-taking quest after Hampshire were invited to bat again having finished 239 runs adrift of the home team.

Rain twice drove the players off during the early part of the afternoon, ensuring an extra half hour was added to the day’s play, but the stoppages could not disrupt the Yorkshire bowlers’ rhythm.

While Hoggard and Deon Kruis remained wicketless when they returned after the second interruption, the moment the ball was tossed to Bresnan things changed in the space of ten balls from the powerfully built bowler.

Bresnan’s first ball accounted for Michael Carberry, the left-handed opener edging a knee high catch to Joe Sayers at third slip.

Then with the fourth ball of his second over Bresnan struck again when he accounted for another Hampshire left-hander, trapping Jimmy Adams lbw.

Michael Brown and John Crawley tried to stitch something together and compiled a watchful 34 runs for the third wicket, but then another bowling change brought a further wicket, with the help of Bresnan.

Anthony McGrath’s fifth ball of his first over tempted Crawley into a drive and the resultant edge was taken comfortably at second slip by Bresnan and Hampshire hobbled into tea still 159 runs away from making Yorkshire bat again.

Earlier the first ball of the day bowled by Hoggard had the stubborn Nic Pothas well taken at first slip by Jacques Rudolph. It earned Hoggard a first innings return of 6-57.

Hampshire’s remaining batsmen managed to last until lunch when Shane Bond sliced a ball from Yorkshire leg spinner Adil Rashid to Michael Vaughan at backward point.