The Bad and the Beautiful (PG)
Starring: Lana Turner, Kirk Douglas, Walter Pidgeon
Minnelli's minor classic of 1952 is the flipside to Sunset Boulevard:
Hollywood on Hollywood at its most forgiving.
Kirk Douglas stars as the unscrupulous film producer Shields, in disgrace but still passionate about movies. His studio manager calls in three Hollywood players, a director (Barry Sullivan), a star (Lana Turner) and a screenwriter (Dick Powell), who've sworn never to work with Shields again.
In their flashback stories, we discover why. Minnelli gives an insider's glimpse into a system where reward and betrayal are obverse sides of the same coin: the trio have been stitched up in different ways by Shields, yet they also know he has "made" them. The minor roles are the standouts – Gloria Grahame as a ditzy Southern belle, Gilbert Roland as a Latin Lothario – while David Raksin's score is one of old Hollywood's most swooningly beautiful. He should have got an Oscar, though the picture did win five others, notably for Charles Schnee's script and Robert Surtees' shadowy photography. This has "industry favourite" written all over it.
New theory could prove how life began and disprove God
Half of Ukip voters say they are prejudiced against people of other races
'Cash for access' scandal: Sir Malcolm Rifkind says 'unrealistic' for MPs to live on £67,000 salary
This is what it's like to be dead, according to a guy who died for a bit
Aqsa Mahmood branded a 'disgrace' by her parents after claims she recruited three UK girls flying to Middle East
'Jihadi John': CAGE representative storms off Sky News accusing Kay Burley of Islamophobia
- 1 The black and blue dress: Makers considering a white and gold version
- 2 Husband and wife die holding hands within hours of each other after 67 years of marriage
- 3 What color is The Dress, white and gold or blue and black? An eyewitness gives a definitive answer
- 4 The remarkable archaeological underwater discovery that could open up a new chapter in the study of European and British prehistory
- 5 Fearne Cotton quits Radio 1 after ten years for 'family and new adventures'