Wines Of The Week
Saturday 08 April 2000
White 1999 Firefinch Sauvignon Blanc, £3.99, selected Tesco stores
Springfield Estate at Robertson in the Cape has already developed a reputation for fine, aromatic sauvignon. Now, fresh from the new vintage comes this zingily clean, nettle-scented, thoroughly affordable example of the variety, with plenty of flavour and gooseberry fruitiness.
Red 1998 La Palmeria Merlot Reserve, £5.99, selected branches of Waitrose
Like a version of opulent claret from Bordeaux's right bank, this is a lusciously juicy merlot from Vina la Rosa in Chile's Rapel Valley, which has softened with a little age in cask and bottle into a wine of full blackcurrant and berry-fruit flavour.
General Election 2015: Chuka Umunna on the benefits of immigration, humility – and his leader Ed Miliband
The sickening truth about food banks that the Tories don't want you to know
Migrant boat disaster: Ukip candidate mocks victims in sickening Twitter post
Nigel Farage wants the BBC to stop making programmes like Doctor Who, Strictly Come Dancing, and Top Gear
Global warming: Scientists say temperatures could rise by 6C by 2100 and call for action ahead of UN meeting in Paris
General Election 2015: Britain would become a 'communist dictatorship' under Ed Miliband and Nicola Sturgeon, claims wife of Michael Gove
- 1 I've been called an abusive and dangerous parent, when all I did was listen to my transgender child
- 2 Migrant crisis: Greek soldier saved 20 people singlehandedly off Rhodes beach
- 3 Sofyen Belamouadden murder: The inside story of a crime that horrified Britain
- 4 Company breaks open Apple Watch to discover what it says is 'planned obsolescence'
- 5 Ian Brady: Moors murderer announces his support for Ukip and the SNP