Wines Of The Week
Saturday 08 April 2000
White 1999 Firefinch Sauvignon Blanc, £3.99, selected Tesco stores
Springfield Estate at Robertson in the Cape has already developed a reputation for fine, aromatic sauvignon. Now, fresh from the new vintage comes this zingily clean, nettle-scented, thoroughly affordable example of the variety, with plenty of flavour and gooseberry fruitiness.
Red 1998 La Palmeria Merlot Reserve, £5.99, selected branches of Waitrose
Like a version of opulent claret from Bordeaux's right bank, this is a lusciously juicy merlot from Vina la Rosa in Chile's Rapel Valley, which has softened with a little age in cask and bottle into a wine of full blackcurrant and berry-fruit flavour.
Is Britain really full up? Are migrants taking our jobs? Leading academic answers the most common anti-immigration claims
Calais Migrant Crisis: Deputy Mayor of Calais labels Cameron's use of 'swarm' as 'racist' and 'ignorant'
Chris Leslie: Jeremy Corbyn's anti-austerity agenda will harm the poor, says Labour shadow Chancellor
While we fixate on Calais, the Home Office is quietly deporting dozens of migrants on 'ghost flights'
Landlords renting properties to illegal immigrants to face up to five years in prison
Calais crisis: The seven claims made about the migrants - and the reality
- 1 Sabrina Corgatelli: US hunting tourist posts picture of herself with dead giraffe after Cecil the lion outrage
- 2 Katie Hopkins reveals fear she will die during brain surgery to cure epilepsy
- 3 Edward Heath 'child sex abuse' allegation: Investigation to be held into Wiltshire police handling of alleged claim in the 1990s
- 4 Dutch King Willem-Alexander declares the end of the welfare state
- 5 Tom Cruise: Reporters banned from asking actor about Scientology