Wines Of The Week
Saturday 08 April 2000
White 1999 Firefinch Sauvignon Blanc, £3.99, selected Tesco stores
Springfield Estate at Robertson in the Cape has already developed a reputation for fine, aromatic sauvignon. Now, fresh from the new vintage comes this zingily clean, nettle-scented, thoroughly affordable example of the variety, with plenty of flavour and gooseberry fruitiness.
Red 1998 La Palmeria Merlot Reserve, £5.99, selected branches of Waitrose
Like a version of opulent claret from Bordeaux's right bank, this is a lusciously juicy merlot from Vina la Rosa in Chile's Rapel Valley, which has softened with a little age in cask and bottle into a wine of full blackcurrant and berry-fruit flavour.
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up
- 1 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
- 2 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don't change Europe's attitude to refugees, what will?
- 3 Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches – it's time to act
- 4 Make your voice heard: Sign The Independent's petition to welcome refugees
- 5 Refugee crisis: Aylan's life was full of fear - in death, he is part of 'humanity washed ashore'