Sunday 06 March 1994
6 March, 1475: Michelangelo Buonarroti, Italian painter, sculptor and poet, born near Florence. He completed the St Peter's Pieta (detail above) in his twenties. In 1508 he began work on the Sistine chapel ceiling (now brighter but flatter after a dollars 3m restoration funded by Japanese television), considered a superhuman achievement, but the commission from Pope Julius II was accepted under duress.
1836: Davy Crockett and 148 other US frontiersmen killed at the siege of the Alamo; six survived.
1902: British soldiers allowed to wear spectacles.
1957: Ghana became independent.
Life & Style blogs
A roundup of the latest property news
Plus, do energy saving measures boost house prices?
The spring menswear season has only just begun, but I've already started to get deep and meaningful....
- 1 Freedom fighters? Cannibals? The truth about Syria’s rebels
- 2 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 3 Special Report: US troops are stationed in Japan to protect the nation. But to sex workers in Okinawa, they bring fear, not security
- 4 Vice pulls 'breathtakingly tasteless' fashion shoot glorifying the suicides of famous female authors from Sylvia Plath to Virginia Woolf
- 5 Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria
Negotiable Depending on Experience: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green R...
£25000 - £30000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
Negotiable: Progressive Recruitment: Dear Sumadhab, A growing engineering comp...
Negotiable: Randstad Education Ilford: We are currently recruiting for a Year ...