THE WEEKLY QUIZ THAT TESTS YOUR KNOWLEDGE OF THE ARTS
Sunday 12 May 1996
2 What contribution to science did George Stubbs make in 1766?
3 What film largely concerns a football match between Huxley College and Darwin U? (If it helps, the password is "Swordfish".)
4 By what alias was Lord John Morgan better known?
5 What was Alan Strang's extremely nasty habit?
6 Herself Surprised, To Be a Pilgrim - and what next?
1 "He uses his folly like a stalking-horse, and under the presentation of that he shoots his wit" (As You Like It, V iv). 2 He published his classic treatise on The Anatomy of the Horse - a series of plates based on illustrations he made while living in isolation on a Lincolnshire farm in 1756-58. 3 Horse Feathers (1932), directed by Norman Z McLeod and starring the Marx Brothers. 4 A Man Called Horse - Lord John was the English aristocrat (played by Richard Harris in Elliot Silverstein's 1970 film and its sequels) captured by the Sioux and forced to participate in some particularly painful rituals. 5 Blinding horses, in Peter Shaffer's play Equus. 6 The Horse's Mouth (1944), the last novel in Joyce Cary's trilogy about the artist Gulley Jimson.
Life & Style blogs
Dozens of empty homes in two of Liverpool’s most deprived areas will be brought back into use thanks...
A roundup of the latest property news
Plus, do energy saving measures boost house prices?
- 1 Serena Williams apologises after comment that rape victim 'shouldn't have put herself in that position'
- 2 Disability campaigners celebrate 'victory' after government rethink over plans to make it more difficult to claim disability benefits
- 3 Bankers could face jail after report urges the Government to introduce new criminal offence for reckless management
- 4 Breaking the Silence: In the reality of occupation, there are no Palestinian civilians – only potential terrorists
- 5 We never knew Nigella Lawson - and we still don’t
£500 - £600 per day: Orgtel: FX Options Front Office Java / C# Developer - Ba...
£600 - £700 per day: Orgtel: Project Manager - Front Office - Regulatory IT C...
£33000 - £35000 Per Annum: The Green Recruitment Company: The Green Recruitmen...
£21000 - £22000 per annum: Randstad Education Chelmsford: NQTs required now fo...