Artists' burnt-out river colony launches appeal
Sunday 10 November 1996
The damage goes beyond the physical. Eel Pie Island has long been a well- spring of creativity. In the 16th century, Mistress Mayo devised its eponymous dish; in the 19th century Dickens used to go to the Eel Pie Island Hotel. In the 1950s, a generation of Beatniks came for jazz, skiffle, R&B and rock gigs. The Rolling Stones played the hotel in 1960; The Who followed.
In the last 10 years, a vibrant co-op of 25 artists and craftsmen has flourished in the Marine Centre. The fire destroyed their studios (above), their work and their livelihoods. But the community is determined to survive, and an appeal fund has been set up to get the Islanders back in business. Donations - of all sorts - to `Eel Pie Island Fire Appeal', Par Ici, 41 Church St, Twickenham, TW1 3NJ (0800 393675), will be gratefully received. Rosanna de Lisle
Life & Style blogs
Wii U to beat Xbox One and PS4 at Christmas says Play.com,
Britain's poor 'will die before they retire' if pension reforms aren't matched by health improvements
The 10 Best Scotch Whiskies
Ron Wayne: The Apple founder who missed out on a fortune
eBay XBox One scam: Dad pays £450 for a picture of the console
- 1 Hundreds arrested as Canadian police smash worldwide paedophile ring
- 2 Is this the scariest advert ever? Japanese tyre commercial comes with its own disclaimer and health warning
- 3 Sherlock series 3: Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman provide teasers for the biggest comeback in British television
- 4 A forgotten episode in Russian history leaves links with the Philippines
- 5 People will try to reduce Mandela to a lilting reggae tune about ‘love’. They will fail
£30000 - £45000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: C# .NET Server Side De...
£50000 - £60000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: C# ASP.NET Developer (...
£60000 - £65000 per annum + Benefits: Harrington Starr: Senior C# WPF .NET Dev...
Negotiable: Harrington Starr: QA Manual Tester FX Trading Platform/Derivative...