The 13-month-old boy's mother Jeanette said: 'He went to the stair gate and climbed up and it came back on him.
'I went straight to him, cuddled him and said: 'It's all right, mummy is here.' Then he started kicking his feet as if he was throwing a tantrum. I told him to pack it in and then he passed out.
The distraught parents ran with their baby from their home in Cliftonville, Margate, to nearby Thanet hospital, and a top team of specialists was called in from Guy's Hospital.
Clifford was then transferred to Guy's paediatric intensive care unit but died next day of cerebral oedema.
The coroner recorded a verdict of accidental death.Reuse content