This Monday, No7 will be celebrating its 70th birthday. Since the high- street chemist launched its own brand of make-up in 1935 it has been re- invented eight times, and the latest changes include new packaging, logos and uniforms for the No7 assistants, while 60 per cent of products have been given completely new formulations.
"It's a really trusted and `local' brand," says No7 creative director Lisa Eldridge, "Everybody's got a story about it. I remember saving up for a No7 cleanser when I was 14. It was in a beautiful glass jar, and when I got out into the street, I dropped it and it smashed. I burst into tears." With the arrival of import upstarts like Stila and Hard Candy in the last decade, Boots no longer has a monopoly on teen-appeal. However, No7 remains, schoolgirl vamps will be pleased to note, a reliable source for the most effective and lengthening black mascara, Full Impact Mascara (pounds 10), which is worth blowing your pocket money on, even after all these years.
Mountain goats miraculously survive avalanche in the Alps
Skyfall's Ben Whishaw confirmed for Freddie Mercury film
A cautionary tale for ambitious would-be authors
Life & Style blogs
- 1 Gurdwaras-turned-food banks: Sikh temples are catering for rise in Britain’s hungry
- 2 TK Maxx and discount stores: If it looks too good to be true, it probably is
- 3 Teenage girl convicted of robbery after taking pre-crime selfie wielding knife
- 4 Government delays EU immigration report because it is too positive
- 5 'I'm experiencing austerity as well', says Princess Michael of Kent
£23000 - £27000 per annum + Award-Winning Benefits: Round The World Experts: L...
£23000 - £27000 per annum + (£16K Base + Uncapped Commission): Flight Centre L...
£400 - £475 per day: PCR Recruitment Limited: Global retail and consumer produ...
£50000 - £55000 per annum + excellent benefits + bonus: Pro-Recruitment Group:...