Books: Spoken word
Exceptions prove the rule. Brendan Kennelly's The Man Made of Rain (Bloodaxe, 107mins, pounds 8.99) is an epic derived from a vision, while Kennelly was recovering from heart bypass surgery, of a man "who was actually raining, slant-wise and firmly in a decisive, contained way" and "took me on journeys". Woven with weather and read by Kennelly with vivacity and passion, it made me want to fly to Dublin (where he is Professor of English Literature), to sit at his feet worshipping.
Life & Style blogs
Plus live in a folly tower and Towcester growth
Plus how much you need to earn to rent in London, and new homes figures
Plus where The Apprentices live, house price growth outside London, and househunter numbers
- 1 Heading for the States? Prepare for the longest US immigration queues ever
- 2 Amir Khan interview: 'One second could end my boxing career'
- 3 Boxing: Purdy set to join long list of British fighters who take the money – and then the beating
- 4 Dan Stevens after Downton Abbey: The erstwhile Matthew Crawley is back in period costume
- 5 Join Ryanair! See the world! But we'll only pay you for nine months a year
BMF is the UK’s biggest and best loved outdoor fitness classes
Find out what The Independent's resident travel expert has to say about one of the most beautiful small cities in the world
Win anything from gadgets to five-star holidays on our competitions and offers page.
£30000 - £40000 per annum + BENS: Progressive Recruitment: Drupal Developer A ...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + bens: Progressive Recruitment: C# WEB DEVELOPER Le...
£240 - £260 per day: Progressive Recruitment: WPF Developer (C#, VB.Net) North...
£85 - £120 per day: Randstad Education Cheshire: KS2 teacher needed to do PPA ...