Brands' fan trends: @crunchiscalling 'twitterventions' boost baked snacks
Thursday 10 February 2011
Responding to tweets mentioning their brand by confronting the Tweeter with a camera crew and a box of products has spelled advertising success for one snack brand.
This week's new entry in the Twitter charts is Wheat Thins, an American snack food produced by Kraft Foods. The brand's entry in this week's charts can be largely attributed to a unique advertising campaign it is running on Twitter.
With the Twitter handle @crunchiscalling, the Wheat Thins team monitors Twitter for any comments about the brand. Having chosen a tweet, the team loads up a branded van with Wheat Thins and a camera crew and confronts the tweeter, leaving the surprised consumer with a box of Wheat Thins. The entire episode is filmed and then put on YouTube and TV to further advertise the brand.
The full range of adverts, known as "Wheat Thins twitterventions," can be viewed on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/crunchiscalling#p/f/0/RhnEMoDTur4.
In this week's Facebook charts, clothing brand Converse All Star and confectionery brand Kit Kat make re-entries, games console Xbox climbs six places and YouTube retains pole position.
As of Thursday, February 10, the ten biggest product brands on Facebook and Twitter in terms of "fans today" and "followers today" (with "+/-" indicating a change from last week's position), according to fanpagelist.com*, were:
01. YouTube (+2,843 fans today) no change
02. PlayStation (+1,399 fans today) no change
03. Xbox (+964 fans today) +6
04. Disneyland (+851 fans today) no change
05. iTunes (+754 fans today) +1
06. Adobe Photoshop (+698 fans today) no change
07. Red Bull (+596 fans today) +2
08. Skittles (+562 fans today) no change
09. Kit Kat (+541 fans today) re-entry
10. Converse All Star (+528 fans today) re-entry
01. YouTube (+905 followers today) no change
02. iTunes (+226 followers today) no change
03. iTunes Music (+226 followers today) no change
04. PlayStation (+178 followers today) no change
05. Adidas Running (+131 followers today) no change
06. Apple App Store (+121 followers today) +1
07. Adobe Creative Suite (+81) -1
08. Wheat Thins (+59 followers today) new entry
09. Xbox (+46 followers today) no change
10. Coca-Cola (+30 followers today) re-entry
* Fanpagelist ( http://fanpagelist.com/) provides daily rankings of brands' Facebook fans and Twitter followers.
Life & Style blogs
Winter crisis in A&E: Hospitals declare 'black alerts' as admissions shatter records, but full stats still unpublished
Unpaid make-up artists reveal the ugly side of Miss World
Christian Louboutin launches £495 nail polish
Google launches 'Contributor' payment service for ad-free internet browsing
When is a wine made in Piedmont not a Piemonte wine? When EU rules make Italian vineyards invisible
Rochester by-election: Ukip gains second MP as Tory defector Mark Reckless holds seat
'Beast of Bolsover' Dennis Skinner takes Ukip MP Mark Reckless to task moments after he is sworn in
Rochester by-election: Labour MP Emily Thornberry resigns after posting white van and England flags tweet
France 'blocks' Russian sailors from boarding a warship
Revealed: How the world gets rich – from privatising British public services
Myleene Klass: Ed Miliband 'strikes back' by comparing UK's need for Labour's mansion tax to Hear'Say track
- 1 To help fuel their propaganda machine against the poor, our government has now decided to redefine the word 'welfare'
- 2 Anti-gay hate preacher accidentally tweets 4,000 followers cartoon clip of him 'confessing' to be a 'homosexual sodomite'
- 3 Woman opens professional cuddling shop – gets 10,000 customers in first week
- 4 Grayson Perry: London needs affordable housing because 'rich people don't create culture'
- 5 Kenya bus attack: Al-Shabaab militants kill 28 non-Muslims who failed to recite Koran
Voluntary Only - Expenses Reimbursed: Reach Volunteering: A trustee (company d...
£45000 - £65000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is a fantastic opportunity...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This is an opportunity to join a successful an...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Digital Sales Account Manager...