Brands' fan trends: @crunchiscalling 'twitterventions' boost baked snacks
Thursday 10 February 2011
Responding to tweets mentioning their brand by confronting the Tweeter with a camera crew and a box of products has spelled advertising success for one snack brand.
This week's new entry in the Twitter charts is Wheat Thins, an American snack food produced by Kraft Foods. The brand's entry in this week's charts can be largely attributed to a unique advertising campaign it is running on Twitter.
With the Twitter handle @crunchiscalling, the Wheat Thins team monitors Twitter for any comments about the brand. Having chosen a tweet, the team loads up a branded van with Wheat Thins and a camera crew and confronts the tweeter, leaving the surprised consumer with a box of Wheat Thins. The entire episode is filmed and then put on YouTube and TV to further advertise the brand.
The full range of adverts, known as "Wheat Thins twitterventions," can be viewed on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/crunchiscalling#p/f/0/RhnEMoDTur4.
In this week's Facebook charts, clothing brand Converse All Star and confectionery brand Kit Kat make re-entries, games console Xbox climbs six places and YouTube retains pole position.
As of Thursday, February 10, the ten biggest product brands on Facebook and Twitter in terms of "fans today" and "followers today" (with "+/-" indicating a change from last week's position), according to fanpagelist.com*, were:
01. YouTube (+2,843 fans today) no change
02. PlayStation (+1,399 fans today) no change
03. Xbox (+964 fans today) +6
04. Disneyland (+851 fans today) no change
05. iTunes (+754 fans today) +1
06. Adobe Photoshop (+698 fans today) no change
07. Red Bull (+596 fans today) +2
08. Skittles (+562 fans today) no change
09. Kit Kat (+541 fans today) re-entry
10. Converse All Star (+528 fans today) re-entry
01. YouTube (+905 followers today) no change
02. iTunes (+226 followers today) no change
03. iTunes Music (+226 followers today) no change
04. PlayStation (+178 followers today) no change
05. Adidas Running (+131 followers today) no change
06. Apple App Store (+121 followers today) +1
07. Adobe Creative Suite (+81) -1
08. Wheat Thins (+59 followers today) new entry
09. Xbox (+46 followers today) no change
10. Coca-Cola (+30 followers today) re-entry
* Fanpagelist ( http://fanpagelist.com/) provides daily rankings of brands' Facebook fans and Twitter followers.
Life & Style blogs
Who is Teresa Fidalgo? Debunking the fake ghost story that's got Instagram spooked
Astrological signs are almost all wrong, as movement of moon and sun throws out zodiac
NHS property sale could raise £7.5bn to help pay off its growing deficit and free up space for housing
Gay marriage, one year on: Couples mark first anniversary of same-sex marriages
Robert Parker interview: The world's top wine critic on tasting 10,000 bottles a year, absurd drinking notes and New World wannabes
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
JK Rowling responds to fan tweeting she 'can't see' Dumbledore being gay
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Jeremy Clarkson sacked live: Alan Yentob 'wouldn't rule out' ex Top Gear host's BBC return
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
- 1 East 17 bandmember Brian Harvey in 'very desperate situation’
- 2 Germanwings plane crash: Video shows co-pilot Andreas Lubitz learning to fly as a teenager
- 3 Vladimir Putin says Russia will fight for the right of Palestinians to their own state
£25000 - £30000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: A global leader operating...
£32000 - £38000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: A highly successful, inte...
£8000 - £10800 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Supply Chain Administrator is ...
£25000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Client IT Account Manager is ...