Brands' fan trends: @crunchiscalling 'twitterventions' boost baked snacks
Thursday 10 February 2011
Responding to tweets mentioning their brand by confronting the Tweeter with a camera crew and a box of products has spelled advertising success for one snack brand.
This week's new entry in the Twitter charts is Wheat Thins, an American snack food produced by Kraft Foods. The brand's entry in this week's charts can be largely attributed to a unique advertising campaign it is running on Twitter.
With the Twitter handle @crunchiscalling, the Wheat Thins team monitors Twitter for any comments about the brand. Having chosen a tweet, the team loads up a branded van with Wheat Thins and a camera crew and confronts the tweeter, leaving the surprised consumer with a box of Wheat Thins. The entire episode is filmed and then put on YouTube and TV to further advertise the brand.
The full range of adverts, known as "Wheat Thins twitterventions," can be viewed on YouTube at http://www.youtube.com/crunchiscalling#p/f/0/RhnEMoDTur4.
In this week's Facebook charts, clothing brand Converse All Star and confectionery brand Kit Kat make re-entries, games console Xbox climbs six places and YouTube retains pole position.
As of Thursday, February 10, the ten biggest product brands on Facebook and Twitter in terms of "fans today" and "followers today" (with "+/-" indicating a change from last week's position), according to fanpagelist.com*, were:
01. YouTube (+2,843 fans today) no change
02. PlayStation (+1,399 fans today) no change
03. Xbox (+964 fans today) +6
04. Disneyland (+851 fans today) no change
05. iTunes (+754 fans today) +1
06. Adobe Photoshop (+698 fans today) no change
07. Red Bull (+596 fans today) +2
08. Skittles (+562 fans today) no change
09. Kit Kat (+541 fans today) re-entry
10. Converse All Star (+528 fans today) re-entry
01. YouTube (+905 followers today) no change
02. iTunes (+226 followers today) no change
03. iTunes Music (+226 followers today) no change
04. PlayStation (+178 followers today) no change
05. Adidas Running (+131 followers today) no change
06. Apple App Store (+121 followers today) +1
07. Adobe Creative Suite (+81) -1
08. Wheat Thins (+59 followers today) new entry
09. Xbox (+46 followers today) no change
10. Coca-Cola (+30 followers today) re-entry
* Fanpagelist ( http://fanpagelist.com/) provides daily rankings of brands' Facebook fans and Twitter followers.
Life & Style blogs
Climate change: 2015 will be the hottest year on record 'by a mile', experts say
Senior British politicians tell David Cameron: When dead children are being washed up on beaches, it's time to act
Jeremy Corbyn calls Osama bin Laden's killing a 'tragedy' - but was it taken out of context?
If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don’t change Europe’s attitude to refugees, what will?
If you're not already angry about the refugee crisis, here's a history lesson to remind you why you really should be
Theresa May says migrants should be banned from entering the UK unless they have jobs lined up
- 1 Moscow voted the world's unfriendliest city
- 2 The excuses your boss is most likely to believe when you call in sick
- 3 I'm pansexual – here are the five biggest misconceptions about my sexuality
- 4 More than 11,000 Icelanders offer to house Syrian refugees to help European crisis
- 5 If these extraordinarily powerful images of a dead Syrian child washed up on a beach don’t change Europe’s attitude to refugees, what will?
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This recognized leader in providing software s...
£40000 - £42000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This is an exciting opportunity...
£35000 - £40000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This IT support company has a n...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: A works engineer is required in a progressive ...