Monday 12 January 1998
Playing five-card majors, South opened One Heart and, stretching somewhat, North raised to Three. South went on to game and West led 4Q against Four Hearts. South held off the first round but took his ace when West led 42 to his partner's king. At first sight he had four losers: two spades, a diamond and a club (unless, perhaps, an opponent held #Q,J alone). There was, however, another possibility: he might find West with 2K,x,x or 2Q,x,x.
At trick three, South played off the ace and another club to leave the defenders with an insoluble problem. If West won with his queen, declarer would be able to take a ruffing finesse against East's king; if West allowed his partner to win 2J with his king, South would be able to ruff a club in hand to bring down West's queen and establish 210 for a diamond discard.
In practice, West played low, East won, and led a spade to West's jack. West did his best by leading the thirteenth spade which went to !3, !8 and !J. Then, after two rounds of trumps ending in dummy, a club ruff established South's tenth trick to make the contract.
Life & Style blogs
The only black face in the Ukip manifesto is on the page about overseas aid
If I’m being racially abused I don’t need a stranger with a saviour complex to rescue me
Ukip is the only main political party to not address LGBT rights in its manifesto
Food banks: One million Britons will soon be using them, according to Trussell Trust
BBC election debate: The one photo that summed up the whole 90-minute leaders debate
Religion isn't growing, it is becoming vigorous in its demise, says philosopher AC Grayling
- 1 Alan Rickman admits editing 'terrible' script with friends in Pizza Hut behind backs of writers on Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves
- 2 18th century sex toy found in 'toilet of sword fighting school' in Poland
- 3 US? China? India? The 10 biggest economies in 2030 will be...
- 4 'I wish my teacher knew...': Young students share their 'heartbreaking' worries in notes
- 5 Rebecca Francis accuses Ricky Gervais of using 'influence' to target female hunters after receiving barrage of death threats
£18000 - £23000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£16500 per annum: Recruitment Genius: A Chiropractic Assistant is needed in a ...
£18000 - £26000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: They work with major vehicle ma...
£28000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: This company provides coaching ...