Monday 12 January 1998
Playing five-card majors, South opened One Heart and, stretching somewhat, North raised to Three. South went on to game and West led 4Q against Four Hearts. South held off the first round but took his ace when West led 42 to his partner's king. At first sight he had four losers: two spades, a diamond and a club (unless, perhaps, an opponent held #Q,J alone). There was, however, another possibility: he might find West with 2K,x,x or 2Q,x,x.
At trick three, South played off the ace and another club to leave the defenders with an insoluble problem. If West won with his queen, declarer would be able to take a ruffing finesse against East's king; if West allowed his partner to win 2J with his king, South would be able to ruff a club in hand to bring down West's queen and establish 210 for a diamond discard.
In practice, West played low, East won, and led a spade to West's jack. West did his best by leading the thirteenth spade which went to !3, !8 and !J. Then, after two rounds of trumps ending in dummy, a club ruff established South's tenth trick to make the contract.
Life & Style blogs
Ukip supporters are 55 or older, white and socially conservative, finds British Social Attitudes Report
Street preacher quoting from the Bible fined for calling homosexuality an 'abomination'
Woman filmed launching racist tirade against men on the Tube for speaking in 'own lingo'
The West has it totally wrong on Lee Kuan Yew
David Cameron calls Labour 'hopeless, sneering socialists' while announcing 7-day NHS plans
Revealed: Putin's army of pro-Kremlin bloggers
- 1 Tidal launch: The most pretentious lines from Alicia Keys' valedictory speech
- 2 Britain First 'acting like Ukip henchmen' by invading meeting of activists in revenge for pub protest against Nigel Farage
- 3 Katie Hopkins attacked me on Twitter — so I reported her to the police for inciting racial hatred
- 4 Tidal: Jay Z's Spotify rival streaming service criticised for making wealthy artists even richer
- 5 Brixton squat flats now costing up to £3k per month show how out of control rent is in London
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: This leading supplier of compliance software a...
£24000 - £30000 per annum: Recruitment Genius: The Associate System Engineer r...
Negotiable: Recruitment Genius: An Executive Assistant is required to join a l...
£45000 - £50000 per annum + benefits : Ashdown Group: A highly successful, glo...