Monday 27 January 1997
The trouble, of course, is the acute shortage of entries to declarer's hand. Coming to hand with #K to ruff a heart low in dummy leaves South with no way to draw the last trump. Another idea would be to play off the ace, king and another spade (catering for East to hold four spades headed by the jack) and rely on the club finesse or the remote chance of a heart-club squeeze. As you can see, this would have left South a trick short.
Well, what was the commentators' suggestion? After winning the heart lead on the table, declarer should cash 4A and come to hand with the queen - giving up the chance of picking up the guarded jack in East's hand. The point is that when the jack falls doubleton, a heart can be safely ruffed high on the table, the South hand re-entered with #K, the last trump drawn, and the losing club discarded on the long diamond.
And if 4J had not fallen in two? Then the last trump is drawn and, eventually, South has to fall back on the club finesse.
Life & Style blogs
Exclusive: We share blame for creating 'jihad generation', says Muslim strategist
Robin Williams Emmys tribute led by Billy Crystal criticised for including 'racist' joke about Muslim woman
Scottish independence TV debate: Pumped-up Alex Salmond bounces back in bruising second round against Alistair Darling
The Rotherham child abuse scandal is a tale of apologists, misogyny and double standards
Jeremy Clarkson is a cultural tumour and needs to be removed, says comedian Frankie Boyle
Air strikes? Talk of God? Barack Obama is following the jihadists’ script after James Foley beheading
- 1 Rice Bucket Challenge: India's take on the Ice Bucket Challenge 'for Indian needs'
- 2 Pamela Anderson rejects ice bucket challenge because of ALS experiments on animals: 'Mice had holes drilled into their skulls'
- 3 ALS ice bucket challenge co-founder Corey Griffin drowns, aged 27
- 4 Rubble Bucket Challenge: Ice Bucket Challenge adapted in solidarity with Gazans whose homes have been destroyed in conflict
- 5 Car tax disc changes: Make sure you know the new rules from 1 October or risk £1,000 fine
- < Previous
- Next >
£500 - £550 Per Day: Clearwater People Solutions Ltd: Our client are currently...
£50 - £55 per day: Randstad Education Cheshire: SEN TAWe are looking to recrui...
£40000 Per Annum dependent on experience: The Green Recruitment Company: They ...
TBC: Test Recruiter for iJobs: Job London (Greater)