Britons set balloon record
Monday 01 March 1999
Colin Prescot and Andy Elson, who took off from Spain on 17 February, have already broken the endurance record for balloon flight, achieving 233 hours and 55 minutes early on Saturday. The pilots said the balloon was flying at 15,700ft and was expected to reach the east coast of the subcontinent last night. They have been denied permission to use Chinese airspace and hope to catch a high-speed jet stream around China and out over the Pacific, organisers at the project's London mission control said.
Once the balloon is over South-east Asia it is expected to fly at an altitude of 30,000ft in a jet stream that should carry it at speeds of up to 100 mph. The route should take it over Burma to north Thailand, Vietnam, and southern Japan. It is a chilly ride and the pilots have Arctic survival gear to protect them. If all goes well, they could touch down in Europe in two to three weeks.
Another balloon duo, Bertrand Piccard from Switzerland and Brian Jones from Britain, intend to begin a round-the-world attempt today.
Life & Style blogs
Snapchat got rid of the Best Friends feature and 'stalkers' are upset
Food secrets: the good, the bad...and the faeces
Pot of gold: tasting the world’s most expensive tea
Taylor Swift’s Twitter and Instagram accounts hacked, apparently by Lizard Squad
Selfie-obsessed men may be narcissistic psychopaths, study finds
'We would evict Queen from Buckingham Palace and allocate her council house,' say Greens
Greece elections: Syriza and EU on collision course after election win for left-wing party
British Muslim school children suffering a backlash of abuse following Paris attacks
British grandmother Lindsay Sandiford faces execution by firing squad in Indonesia
Liberal Democrat minister defends comments suggesting immigration causes pub closures
Louise Mensch says 'F**K YOU' in explosive tweets about David Cameron, Saudi Embassy and the Queen over King Abdullah tributes
- 1 Saudi preacher who 'raped and tortured' his five -year-old daughter to death is released after paying 'blood money'
- 2 Mystery man who gave mum heart-warming note on train 'wanted to put a smile on her face'
- 3 Michelle Obama highlights harsh restrictions faced by Saudi women after meeting King Salman without wearing a headscarf
- 4 Mafia's wall of silence broken: Victim of Cosa Nostra's extortion rackets in its Corleone heartland co-operates with authorities for the first time ever
- 5 Amal Clooney gives excellent answer to fashion question at European Court of Human Rights
Negotiable: Tradewind Recruitment: This post arises as a result of the need to...
£120 - £150 per annum: Tradewind Recruitment: I am recruiting on instruction o...
£70000 per annum: Ashdown Group: Head of Finance - Financial Controller - Fina...
£24000 - £28000 per annum + benefits: Ashdown Group: Marketing Executive - Wim...