Tuesday 01 April 1997
In the Forties however, Matison and Rabinovich found the idea of 1.f4 Rf2 2.Kd4! Rxf4+ 3.Ke5 which they claimed led to a draw. Another 10 years went by before it was discovered that Black could still win with 3...Rf8! 4.d4 Re8+! 5.Kd6 Rd8+! 6.Kc5 Kc2 7.d5 Kd3.
Finally, in 1956, Maizelis blew a hole in the Reti's original solution with 1.f3 Ka2!! 2.d4 Ka3 3.Kc4 Ka4 4.d5 Ka5 5.Kc5 Rc2+ 6.Kd6 Kb6 7.f4 Rf2 and Black wins!
The whole thing does, however, have a happy ending. Maizelis was not just a wrecker; he believed in putting things right, too. Looking again at the initial position, he moved the black rook from h2 to a2. Now it is White to play and draw, and the only solution (as far as we know) is 1.f3. Reti's original variation is restored, and the black king cannot move to a2. After 1.f4 Rf2 we are back in the twice-improved variation above. Not quite what Reti originally intended, but all the better for it.
Life & Style blogs
As a white man, I'm surprised more women aren't tweeting the hashtag #KillAllWhiteMen
Scotland may have to leave the EU even if it votes to stay in, David Cameron confirms
The day that Britain resigned as a global power
SNP fury as HS2 finds 'no business case' for taking fast train service to Scotland
EU referendum: David Cameron to deny EU migrants and under-18s the chance to vote
A nation of inequality: How the UK is failing to feed its most vulnerable people
- 1 Cyclist who knocked down three-year-old girl says his life has been 'destroyed'
- 2 A politically correct lefty goes to see Top Gear live – you'll probably believe what happened next
- 3 Young Preston fan has play-off hero Jermaine Beckford's shirt stolen from him at Wembley - which then appears for sale on Gumtree
- 4 Isis burns woman alive for refusing to engage in 'extreme' sex act, UN says
- 5 Puerto Rico, island of lost dreams: People are leaving the debt-hit territory in droves as near neighbour Cuba's star rises
£40-50K: Guru Careers: We are seeking an experienced Software / C# Developer w...
£35 - 40k + Benefits: Guru Careers: We are seeking a Software Developer (JavaS...
£18000 - £23000 per annum + Commission: SThree: As a Trainee Recruitment Consu...